WHAT TURNTABLE?

CONSIDERING A VPI PRIME SIG. (USED) VS A REGA RP10 (NEW) YOUR THOUGHTS,PLEASE
128x128roger4000
I didn’t have to buy a VPI unipivot to know I didn’t want one. Just seeing the VPI tables with that arm at my prior dealer was enough of their unipivot for a lifetime, lol. I realize they’ve made improvements to smooth out the unipivot experience, like the optional dual pivot. Which is really making it a hybrid, like the Graham Phantom (I still own a Supreme). The Graham does a stellar job mitigating the issues of a unipivot. VPI’s new gimbal fatboy looks interesting, and like I said their Prime Signature looks amazing - should be a hell of a combination.

Sure, I’m biased, because I like big heavy Koetsus - if you strap that onto a classic VPI unipivot it’s like putting an alligator tail on a chihuahua. When it comes down to it, I just prefer the feel and universally good performance (with a wide range of cartridges) of great rigid gimbal bearings, and I don’t think that’s an uncommon opinion in this hobby.
Most people here remember my frustration with VPI.

I finally set up my Classic 3 Sig SE / 3D unipivot/ dual pivot mod/ ADS/ 3 belts and was really blown away. I had previously a SDS that was going bad and the STP was off from the factory. It’s now exceeding my expectations.

The arm is fiddly...made better with the dual pivot mod. I’m using my home made mat and a Stillpoints LP-1 with my Acutex 425 STR. You would not believe the musical/deep bass this little cart retrieves from the grooves.
Slaw, I agree regarding the Acutex carts. I have two, the LPM 415 STR, and the LPM 320 III STR, great cartridges, and very surprising, considering their small size and weight.

I also got sick and tired of the VPI wobble (Scout Signature), and built my own Garrard 401 with a Dynavector 501 arm, which is a delight after years with the JMW arm. Sounds fantastic, too.

Regards,
Dan
@islandmandan ,

Darn right. I'm comparing it (in my mind) to my Dyna D3 and it competes on par except with much better bass.

Just think, it cost $40 in the day?
Just buy a better phono stage  I use a TT that has JC Penny on it but the phono is all together something special.