What turntable for $1500 ?

After relentless negotiating with my wife, I've got the compromised approval to drop $1500 on a new turntable/tonearm/cartridge!! I've had a Bang and Olufsen TX linear tracking table since 1985 and that cost $500 new. The rest of my system is : Adcom amp (60 WPC), Adcom preamp, and Klipsch Heresy speakers. I plan on upgrading the amp/preamp with Cary tubed gear - most likely the Rocket 88 amp / SLP 88 preamp. With my somewhat limited bugdet, I'm open to buying a used TT that's relatively new. I'd also like any advice on tonearms and cartridges that are compatible in this price point. Should I get a MC or MM cartridge? Also, I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly the latest "jam band" genre, but have become increasingly intrigued by jazz and classical. Thanks in advance for your thoughtful recommendations.
Mike
mcchaiko5b5e

Showing 2 responses by tok20000

The question is: Are you budgeting $1500 for just the turntable or turntable + tonearm + cartridge?

KF
Basis 1400 + RB300 Tonearm + a decent cartridge depending on what phono preamp you end up with.

KF