What turntable for $1500 ?

After relentless negotiating with my wife, I've got the compromised approval to drop $1500 on a new turntable/tonearm/cartridge!! I've had a Bang and Olufsen TX linear tracking table since 1985 and that cost $500 new. The rest of my system is : Adcom amp (60 WPC), Adcom preamp, and Klipsch Heresy speakers. I plan on upgrading the amp/preamp with Cary tubed gear - most likely the Rocket 88 amp / SLP 88 preamp. With my somewhat limited bugdet, I'm open to buying a used TT that's relatively new. I'd also like any advice on tonearms and cartridges that are compatible in this price point. Should I get a MC or MM cartridge? Also, I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly the latest "jam band" genre, but have become increasingly intrigued by jazz and classical. Thanks in advance for your thoughtful recommendations.
Mike
mcchaiko5b5e

Showing 1 response by mrwigglewm

I thought most Adcom preamps of that era included a pretty good phono stage. Assuming yours does not, the EAR 834P phono stage will provide some tube warmth and naturalness to your solid state system and is compatible with low output cartridges. I would recommend the Sota Comet TT, which has a decent arm and can be bought for around $500. The EAR 834P can be bought for around $650. That leaves you just enough to purchase a class B cartridge. You might consider the Grado Sonata.
You are going to love the journey through classical and jazz. If you e-mail me I will try to help you with some suggestions.