What turntable for $1500 ?

After relentless negotiating with my wife, I've got the compromised approval to drop $1500 on a new turntable/tonearm/cartridge!! I've had a Bang and Olufsen TX linear tracking table since 1985 and that cost $500 new. The rest of my system is : Adcom amp (60 WPC), Adcom preamp, and Klipsch Heresy speakers. I plan on upgrading the amp/preamp with Cary tubed gear - most likely the Rocket 88 amp / SLP 88 preamp. With my somewhat limited bugdet, I'm open to buying a used TT that's relatively new. I'd also like any advice on tonearms and cartridges that are compatible in this price point. Should I get a MC or MM cartridge? Also, I listen to a wide variety of music, mostly the latest "jam band" genre, but have become increasingly intrigued by jazz and classical. Thanks in advance for your thoughtful recommendations.
Mike
mcchaiko5b5e

Showing 1 response by jeramyphd

I would tell you to buy used accept for the cartidge.
Brands I would consider are Sota, Well Tempered,Vpi,and
Basis. I,ve heard them all and each has very good sound.As far as cartriges I would look at Benx Micro and Clear Audio.
Both have a wide price range in cartriges. Tonearms Find
an older Emminent Technology, or older Mod Squad Triplaner.
The easiest would be the Well Tempered with their arm already mounted. Don't even look at a Bang & Olfsen they
are trash and sound terrible. Also stay away from Linn.
They sound good but need constant tweeking. If you can afford a little more for a turntable I would go with a Goldmond St-4 It comes with a high quality Linear tracking arm. Good Luck