What turntable and TONEARM brands sound best with the Denon DL103 and DL 103R? MC's

Need some recommendation for turntables with TONEARMS that provide the best sound quality with either the Denon DL103R ( retail $379) or Denon DL103 ( retail $229) MC's cartridges.

Is there a major difference in sound quality between the two LOMC's??

Thank you, SJ

sunnyjim

Showing 4 responses by sbank

@sunnyjim Are you giving up on the U-Turn already? We didn't get a post of your evaluation of it as you promised. Thought your plan was to use the Ortofon 2M then replace it with a Denon 110? Did you try those and decide to back up the plan a step or two?
Is your budget still $1100?
Cheers,
Spencer
Do you get a chance to listen to many others' systems, hobbyists and/or dealers? If you can describe other rigs that met your needs better, that might put it in perspective. 
If you plan to change tables because you love the sound of 103R or 103, well tell us about the rig that it impressed you on. 
I still think that is a cart before the horse approach and you should choose table(& arm in this price range) as most important and costly, then get a cart that suits the table/arm. Cheers,
Spencer 
@sunnyjim Are you familiar with the LA & Orange County Audio Society? It's probably the largest audio club in the country. You'd be well served to attend some events, meet some local audiofools and go listen to their turntables. Then you will in a better position to make some of these decisions without relying only on the writings of others. Cheers,
Spencer 
I love the last three posts and earlier on suggested a Technics 1200 with mods to the OP. The Jelco arm being a perfect example of such upgrade. The audiomods arm is another interesting design that I haven't had a chance to hear but looks worthy of further investigation. 

@sunnyjim Yes, I know people with the Spin Clean who like it. It's not going to do the job like an Ultrasonic, or similar, but it looks like the lowest cost non-DIY way to take your cleaning to the next level. 
Many are upgrading their rcm these days, and used VPI 16.5s are plentiful(I sold mine a few months ago too). They are a notch above the Spin Clean and built to last, but at a high cost. Cheers,
Spencer