What tubes for a EAR p834

I have a EAR P834 with hovland cap upgrade. It has the stock tube (JAN 12ax7, I think). I have heard the the Telefunkens sound amazing in the Ear, but the cost for retubing would be more than I want to spend. Does anyone have any sugestions on curently produced tubes that could get me great sound? Or should I just save until I am ready to get the Teles? Thanks!
c_wise
As far as the phono section of the EAR full preamp, Absolute Sound's second take on it, in the latest issue, recommended strongly the use of the Mazda, a french tube that is in current production. I know I will be getting them tomorow as most french export products ends up here in Montreal. Bonne chance !
P.S. I will post my experience with them in the following week.
I recently purchased some fabulous NOS RCAs -- early 60s vintage from Andy at Vintage Tube Services. I must say that these tubes had an immediate positive impact on the sound. Less noise, more detail, greater dynamics. Overall, I'm very impressed. Much better than I thought.

These RCAs were not cheap though. I'm not sure what your budget is, but the RCAs were cheaper than NOS Teles and Mullards, and possibly NOS Mazdas. Highly recommended.
Sorry C Wise- but I realise that the Mazda are not currently produced but NOS type.
NOS teslas (12ax7) are currently in mine. I have used Electro-Harmonix and the Sovtek LPS as well as the stock tubes. The LPS may be one for you to try. They're only about $12 each. Though not as quiet as a NOS they do sound pretty good.
Just replaced the EI yugo set in mine with Tesla ECC803S gold-pin. To say this action brought a night and day difference would be an understatement! A most definite recommendation.
The Telefunkens would be fantastic, and better yet, they probably would last a lifetime. You could retube 5 times, as opposed to once with the Tele's, which would make the tele's a much better value, and they do sound great. You should be able to source some for $70-$100 pr NOS.