What tube amp for Harbeth 40.1

I am looking for a tube amp for Harbeth 40.1.  I know many suggest SS amp such as Accuphase, Luxman, Hegel, McIntosh ... etc for Harbeth, but I decided to keep it with tube.  I also don’t think I need a lot of power.  I currently have a 8W custom built 300B and had a 18W Almarro 318B, and to me, they sound fine.  However, I think more power will help, and I never know what I missed until I try it out.  Having said that, I don’t think I need crazy power.  Anything 30-80W is good enough for me.  I am 3m away from the speakers, listen to Jazz at avg 83dB.

i have the following short list:
1) PrimaLuna Evo 400 integrated
2) Leben CS600X 
3) Linear Tube Audio Z40

Which one do people like with Harbeth?  Any other suggestion?

Among all qualities, I value holographic presentation the most.  I really like the feeling as if the singer is floating in front of me, if you know what I mean.  And my current 300B do pretty well in this regards, and I read this is what SET amps are good at.  Will I be disappointed with the above?
Thanks.
gte357s

Showing 16 responses by aj523

@gkr7007

Agreed. Mark’s engineering/architecture of Berning’s technology is a sonic marvel amd masterpiece, so much so that I’m going to be running the zotl ref40 as monoblocks controlling my 40.2 A's through the microzotl.

@gte357s

Why not find a used McIntosh tube preamp so you know you’ll have a match.

@gte357s 

Ok all tubes i see.  My point was that if you start mixing brands of tubes and SS gear, you have to be extra careful with proper impedance matching.  Expensive mistakes happen. 
@dodgealum 
Thx!  2 channel analog system complete. Now its time for room treatments and tweaks! 
@cd318
That is a cool video! Interestingly when he actually played a recorded song as opposed to a test CD, the max power peaked at like 30 watts. So as they said you really have to take into account distance, listening levels, types of music you like to play and then match an amp to those personal characteristics.

Why should that rule out a carefully selected tube amp? Well...

Well yes on the HARBETH private forum (HUG), they humiliate anyone who wants to go tube. Basically the message is don’t need to spend a lot on amps, just buy the most watts you can even Class D over tubes. I bucked that trend and have the 40.2 Annies with the LTA z40 and it sounds glorious to me but what do I know...i listen with the grilles off, another big no no you will get ostracized over. Probably going to LTA Ref monoblocks which will get me almost 100 wpc at 6 ohms the minimum impedance.
@gte357s 

Definitely let us know. Hope this thread keeps going amd includes more user experiences....Harbeths with SS and/or Tube. 

@bassdude 

Hi bassdude, just so i understand are you saying that if a piece of music like the second jazz piece they played on Alan's 2015 YouTube video from this thread which hit a top transient peak of 30 watts will have more clarity, resolution and dynamics if the amp is a SS vs. a tube, both delivering those same 30 watts?  Really?  
@bassdude

Makes perfect sense they would show their speakers with the mega watt amps in a public forum, BUT in a real world situation like your home where one MAY want something smooth, musical and warm, softer non fatiguing.... ALWAYS ALWAYS go for the sweet tubes of at least 50 watts at 8 ohms to meet what Alan has spec’ed himself as the minimum requirement. Now home theater solid state all the way!!!
@pdherer
Exactly listen to the OP! And I hated ATC as well. Grating and didn't think I could listen for hours. Magico is the same ol’ tower speaker I spent the last two months demo'img but overpriced nothing special IMO.

So I doubled down and traded in my LTA z40 integrated for LTA separates - Microzotl preamp and a pair of ZOTL40 Reference run monoblocks. Getting close to 100 wpc at the 40.2 Annie 6ohm impedance and results are quite apparent, quite spectacular...really some tubey magical midrange, serious dynamic sound.  Yes I was mistaken- they do love some current! And double Quads of NOS Mullards XF2s!
@gte357s

Sorry just saw your post asking me to elaborate. I don’t have a musical ear and I’m not really expert in describing all the nuances but doubling up and adding a separate preamp with the full zotl architecture implemented clearly changed the sound top to bottom. Everything is more alive more dynamic like it woke up. I was most focused on the bass because thats the knock I got for going with the harbeths to begin with and the bass definitely has more slam more control. Hope that’s helpful. I know @ghasley passionately recommends Pass and Boulder integrated amps. That’s where I would pivot if I revert back to solid state in the future. 

I’m not sure about the 40.1, but the newer models, the 40.2 Anniversary and 40.3 XD have an impedance curve that runs about 8 ohms and higher and rarely dips below that, so a pretty easy speaker to drive.  Your only question would be how loud you want it to go which is based on your room, listening position, music you listen to and your preferences.  
Or LTA z40 Ref mono
92 wpc
Circa 1960 EL34 Mullards EF2

Phenomenal tone balance. DEAD quiet
The Harbeth 40.2, the Annie, and 40.3XD have slightly higher sensitivity than the 40.1, 86db vs. 84db, but those newer models have a much higher impedance curve. The curve on the 40.2 stays above 8 ohms throughout almost the entire frequency range even staying around 10-12 ohms which should make it an easier load to drive.  That's why tubes above 50 watts sound glorious.