What to upgrade on $3,000 budget

When improving my interconnects to Audioquest Diamondbacks, my system became too harsh. It's JM Labs Daline 3.1, Jolida 5t preamp with factory mod, Adcom GFA 545 II amp, Moon 100 D Dac and Airport Express. I'm using Audioquest CV-8 speaker cable. Should I consider upgrading the amp or speakers and with what? I listen to jazz, classical and vocals. I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
hugo1

Showing 1 response by jdoris

People report hearing Adcom amps as harsh, edgy, etc. My experience was consistent with that. I'd guess you could best the Adcom for well less than 3k. For example, sticking to muscular SS designs, used Odyssey amps can be found at around 1k, and monoblocks with bells and whistles around 2k.

If you spent a grand on an amp, you'd have 2k to think about speakers (the component with the biggest impact on listening experience), and while I don't know your speakers, I'm betting 2k used can get you a noticable upgrade (esp. in this slow market).

But it looks like you enjoy tinkering, and since the Adcom is a likely culprit, I'd put my upgrade money in a more ambitious amp, and plan for a speaker upgrade down the road.

John