what to TURN to when starting $1000 budget

besides telling more bad jokes

Hello

Originally I posted this question on yahoo. Someone that uses this site recommended that I post it here instead which, will allow others with experience to answer it. Here is the typical question.

I started to read posts on turntables (MANY of them) and I cant help succumbing to the confusion of everyone contradicting every bit of advice. Someone will say this model is good and then another post or comment will attempt to discredit the feedback claiming it to be incorrect, seems to be no end to the cycle. Others will say new products are great yet others say the vintage makes are far superior because of belt drives and and various other reasons. I dont think I am alone with this experience of frustration specifically regarding turntables as there is quite a bit of equipment that we the reader cant really listen to and judge for ourselves half the time. Thus we are rendered helpless in a sense to just take advice yet as noted above its a circle of confusion. Therefore I need your/someones "professional experience" to set me straight. My goals are to find a set up that produces great sound for a cost around 1000. Is there an official resource on this forum with lots of experience in high end audio equipment or at least someone that has experience where I can ask the questions I need answered like, should I buy all the pieces separate and put them together or buy a table that is set up already. Is it possible to get more for each dollar if you by each part separate or not. After a purchase I would like to listen to the music. What exactly do I need eg pre amp and such. Who can recommend an a to z set up with the budget restrictions that I gave and by all means if there is something that costs a little more than that but makes a large difference in quality recommend it to me. Also can someone explain where to buy or what brand to go with for each. Each piece of equipment makes up the quality of sound but is there a main piece or a top three to invest in that will be the cause of the majority of the effect. Lots of questions but it just seems like nobody from the stores that are close to me know what they are talking about which I expected in the first place however, the customer representative in the sound department should know where to refer you. I would be very grateful if anyone with actual experience (Hands on not just repeating what they read, suggesting what looks cool or what is trendy) can lend their insight and teach me what is what. Thank you!
tiredoftryingnames

Showing 1 response by dfel

I have some suggestions.

VINTAGE is the only way you can do this, putting together an entire system with new components at those prices will be impossible or simply not worth it. I am assuming you have space, if not some things change adjust as you wish.

Speakers:
Big
Klipsch Heritage (Any)...$300-$2000
think heresy for now

Small
Dynaco A25...$50 dont pay much more
Mission Bookshelf $100-$400
JBL (rules = blue + old), but Shhhhhh its a secret

Amplifiers:
Heathkit AA 151...$100-$400 (buy new tubes)
this one is integrated and with phono section
The phono is not great but will do for a time

EIco HF XX ...$200-$600
This one is also integrated with phono, also buy new
tubes

Scott integrated 2xxx ....(more money)

Class T amp... $15-200 (yes $15 not $150)
If you speakers are efficient enough (i.e/ something
from the list that is 95db or more. Try a class T
amplifier like the dayton DTA-1 or a trends. It sounds
unbelievably good with high efficiency speakers. These
need an external phono

NAD...$100-$500 ( not my fav but also good integrated w/
phonos a lot of the time)

Cambridge...$20-$600 (also not my fav most of them are
integrated but no phono)

Marantz PM series $200-$1000 integrated with phono and
again not my fav.

Phono: (If Needed)

Buy an old receiver, OLD, make sure it has a good
phono section in it by reading on the google
machine. Then use this old trick. Plug the turntable
into it, and use the tape out, take the tape out into
your amp/integrated pre-section. BANG, you have a
phono stage many times better at handling RIAA than
the typical stand alone CRAP made today (in your
price range).

Turntable:

Thorens, think thorens...$50-$400
maybe the TD-160

Old technics 1200...$variable

Cartridge:

This is the bad part, on the budget you have to stick to MM and perhaps used. the good news is there are tons of mediocre/mid fi carts that are much better than you would expect.

Grace f9...$do not know anymore but if you find one in decent condition BUY IT

Audio Technica 440 MLA...$cheap

Ortofon 2m Red ...$100 (new)

Sure M97...$100 (new)

Cables/Wire: DIY, think Mogami, Canare. Should be able to get off cheap if you DIY.

CD Player:

Do not buy one...just kidding.

PS1.....$10-50 (You can try a PS1 Model SCPH 1001, I dont listen to CDs much, but it is nice.)

Digital/Other:

Headphone out of you laptop running Jriver....$50 for software and the cost of the laptop is sunk. If you dont have a laptop, but one of those and forget audio, you will thank me for it.

that is the best I can do for about a Gee-Note. Depending on what combination you chose, the tubes used, condition and you ability to do some little tweaks. I think you can get a half way decent sound, provided that you dont mind having an eye sore in listening room. Good luck, I would love to see what you end up with and how you like it.

But do keep one thing in mind, this will ABSOLUTELY not be the last $1000 you spend on audio. This is the beginning of a slippery slope. The sickness has already set in, since you are posting this...and it may not be too late to run away now while your wallet is still full.

Best of luck with you new system. Enjoy!