What to try?

Currently have Yamaha As1200 integrated with KLH Model 5.  Looking to get a more refined sound with a tube integrated.  220 square foot room,  8 foot ceilings.  I  am getting a somewhat foreword presentation now but good solid clear sound with punch.  Thinking about a Pathos Classic One MkIII or Willsenton R8 or Line Magnetic KT88.  The Pathos is a hybrid but have heard good things.  Play mostly vinyl with Fluance RT 85 and Ortofon Blue. Listen to mostly rock and alt country and some classical.   Just thinking of dipping my toes into tubes to get a different sound.  Any suggestions?

laecp123

the advantage of a separate phono stage is also: amps without phono stage tend to be better value. It's a questionable and generic statement but with some truth to it, as much as I've seen...

Agree, better separate phono stage, but good phono separates can get pricey.  The phono stage alone can transform what you hear.

You could try a Black Ice Fusion F35 Integrated for 3k with EL34 tubes, or 3.25k with 6550 tubes then add a Parasound Zphono XRM phono preamp for $499.00, it lets you hook up 2 turntables 1 MM, and 1 MC and is very flexible with gain settings, it also has a rumble filter,a mono stereo switch if needed, it also has MC impedance adjustments of 50 - 1050 ohms. This way you can always go to separates if you want at a later time, and both together are still in your 3.5k budget.

Thank you for suggestions. I have no problem using a separate phono stage. That will not affect my decision on the amp. 

There’s an Audio Research VSi60 on USAM for $1995. You’d need to pick an external phono stage, but you could do that and probably still come in under budget.

My gear is ARC; haven’t heard that model myself, but Stereophile reviewed it and maybe someone who has owned one will chime in here.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649975792-audio-research-vsi60-integrated-amplifier-superb-sonics-amp-excellent/

info here:

https://www.arcdb.ws/model/VSI60

happy hunting!