What to do with old Thiel CS-2s

I have a pair of vintage Thiel CS-2. Original version in oak. The veneer is pretty beat up, but even worse it turned out the dealer who worked on them after I had two blown tweeters (amp literally exploded) used 3M double stick to keep the grilles on. Speakers sounded off after we moved and I finally decided to pry off the grilles. Turns out *all* of the drivers are damaged. Probably by the movers, but the move was several years ago, so no way to prove it. So I have beat up CS-2 boxes with no good drivers and no grilles. Any thoughts on something interesting to do with these? Buy some drivers from parts express or madisound and just put them in? Ideas? Or are these worth something to someone?

thanks!
cmot

Showing 1 response by m297904

I'm suspecting shipping back and forth to Thiel would preclude an economical solution. Not to mention the mark-ups that they would add to any repair parts - after all they are a for-profit business.
I would try to see if they would sell you the drivers directly or share the driver part #'s and then you could procure them yourself probably at a substantial discount IF they are still available. I'm not hopeful on either of those.
If you are successful with the drivers, then you could have the cabinets re-veneered by a local carpenter - MAYBE. I had a tough time finding someone wanting to do that kind of work. I ended up living with the crappy veneer on my speakers.