What to do with a Sony PS X-800?

I came across this turntable that I got in the early 80s. I'm the original owner. I hooked it up, but the arm won't move across the turntable. It will raise and then lower, which I think is part of the auto calibration mechanism. When I used it before, it worked fine. I'm guessing that sitting in a closet for 25 years hasn't hurt the table too much, but that certain parts need replacing, plus a recalibration should be done.

So, my question is, it is worth getting it fixed, or should I just sell it? I'd guess it could cost $400-500 to get it back in working order. Has anyone gone through the refurbishing process?

I've seen where even units that need servicing are fetching pretty good prices online.

Thanks,
Bob
rzs

Showing 1 response by rzs

I've got the original packing materials. The cartridge is a grado, but the cantilever has a severe bend in it, so I don't think it is salvageable.

Cosmetically it's in quite good shape. Few scratches. The dustcover has a few marks on it, but functions just fine.

I was looking for someone who might be qualified to repair it and found this guy: http://orlando.ebayclassifieds.com/skilled-trades/grand-island/sony-ps-x800-turntable-full-calibration-service/?ad=27802519 any thoughts/comments?

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them!

Bob