What to do when you receive damage goods

What if any recourse does a buyer have if a seller refuses to file a claim or make good on his promise to reimburse ? This has now been going on for months. I purchased a D/A
converter which arrived damaged. The seller (bagels5-Michael
from Lets Make Music) has stated that it will take too much of his time to file the claim with FedEx. Then he promised
to refund the price of the repairs. This hasn't happened and
now he ignores my emails. What a person to do ?
bobspeak
Beware if you're shipping tube equipment sicne the fine print of FedEx/UPS disclaim any responsibility for "microwave tubes" and they normally widen the definition to cover all tubes. I bought a pair of Nagra VPA from this guy LUDUSX. Two of the tubes arrived with broken filament and FedEx simply declined to assume any responsibility and the seller doesn't want to hear from me. What's worse is that after I left a negative feedback against him, he did the same thing to me - by calling me a liar. To add insult to injury, Audiogon refuse to take the feedback away and declare that "Audiogon is not in any position to arbitrate." So this "liar" name is going to stick with me.

My conclusion, you're on your own if the seller is determined to screw you. Don't hold your breath on Audiogon to give you any help since they don't even want to hear from you.
Rdr your feedback looks pretty good anyways, so you probably won't have any problems (hopefully) because of that. Do appreciate the heads-up warning & thanks much for sharing. I'd do business with you anyday.
Thanks, Bundus. I regards my reputation highly - online or offline; therefore I took the negative comments seriously. On the other hand, the guy who screwed me never submitted another ad here the the GoN since he's got 3-4 negatives against him so he took his business to Audioweb and Audioshopper where they can reserve the right to take feedback.

IMHO, the audiogon feedback system cannot punish those bad apples even morally without hurting yourself.
Rdr: You've certainly raised an issue here that deserves airing. Transaction feedback can come back to haunt you if you've been unfortunate enough to have a bad experience, & then try to warn others about it by legitimately posting an objective comment. The offender many times will retaliate and then you end up looking bad for having dealt with them through no fault of your own.
On some sites you can then post an attachment "followup explanatory comment" to the neg. feedback, but not here. If you're lucky enough, then you can get the site operator to edit off the bad post from your reputataion, but I've found this to be hit or miss regarding whether Audiogon staff will help you or not. It's a bad situation because some buyers will automatically not deal with any seller showing neg. feedback (and regardless of the circumstances) which is not right, but that's their choice and it hurts both the legitimate seller & the otherwise prospective buyer.
Now if Audiogon wanted to address a legitimate issue HERE'S one that sure needs looking into, but no they're more worried about this siiiiiilly forum voting, which serves no one and absolutely aggravates many indeed.
Thanks, Bob, I tried to plead my case with Audiogon many times with fruitless result. Audiogon's position is simple - it is not an arbitrator of any disputes. Since the other party never 'explained' what happened on his end, as far as Audiogon is concerned, there was no case. Furthermore, since the offender obviously forgot to click on "negative" box, the feedback was actually shown as "neutral" despite the fact that he called me a liar. Therefore Audiogon decided not to take any action and thus would not remove the comments against me.