What to do? Converting from 220v mains to 110v

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I'm currently converting from 220v (mains) to 110v (for my US equipment) and I want new "stuff".

I am getting back into the audiophile obsession – I mean hobby - but am living in Europe temporarily (since 1997, not temporary?), where all the mains power is 220v.

So, while my power amp is on 220v (I had it converted while in for service), I’m running my Turntable (Linn Sondek), CD player (Linn Genki) and pre-amp (Spectral) off a 220 to 110v transformer. This transformer is 1.5 Kw, 220v input, 110v output. (I believer the amperage on the circuit the transformer is plugged into is 15A, but I'll have to check.) (To further confuse the issue, I’m actually using a circa 1990 NAD receiver right now. I haven’t listened to the spectral/quad combo since we moved to Germany from England, as one of the components has a “hum”. However, at low to medium volumes the system with the NAD currently sounds, by audiophile standards, pretty “fair”.)

I’m getting the tube bug real bad ($$$) which makes my problem worse as
a) I need (want) a high current available to run an amp that will push my 4 ohm Thiel CS2’s (sensitivity 87 dB/W-m), and
b) I expect any good 20 to 50 wpc (audio research, Conrad-Johnson, musical fidelity…) tube amplifier, or integrated amp, will draw a fair amount of current.

Two questions:
1) How much sound quality am I loosing by plugging my 110v equipment into a transformer/converter? (Bonus question: line conditioners seem to be worthwhile ‘tweaks’ in any high end system; am I in an even better situation to benefit from line conditioning?)

2) I’m looking to replace my amp and pre-amp with a "real good" integrated amp (C-J CAV-50 is the "low-end" frontrunner now, unless I go and spend even more $$); since I plan to go back to America (soon?) should I purchase 110v equipment now and temporarily run it through the 220v to 110v converter? Or, should I purchase 220v equipment and ship it back to the factory for conversion to 110 when I move back to America?

Thanks for your advice.

Jeffrey Young
delsfan

Showing 1 response by marakanetz

20...50wpc tube amp isn't enough.
I suggest going with VTL MB125 at least.

VTLs aren't user-friendly to reconfigure to 220V but you can get instructions from Bea and reconnect the transformer leads(only if you have enough skill and guts certainly).