what to buy under $500 bi wire spkr cable

i have a vincent 236 integrated powering psb stratus golds. using a jolida 100 cd player. what speaker cables would you recommend. my sound seems harsh with not enough low end. using 15 year old monster m series 1.4 cables.
vikingnick

Showing 3 responses by almarg

Just to be certain that nothing simple is being overlooked, are you sure that the + and - connections to one speaker are not reversed, relative to how the other speaker is connected? A reversal of relative phase would probably account for both of the symptoms you are describing.

Regards,
-- Al
If you haven't already, before purchasing a new set of biwire cables you might want to see if the weak bass you are experiencing is improved by connecting without biwiring, and using jumpers between the two sets of speaker terminals.

There have been two prior threads in which three different people reported that a significant reduction in bass resulted from biwiring, which in one case was actually measured. Near the end of the threads I offered a possible although speculative explanation:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1247016622

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1247245568

Obviously many people biwire very successfully, but perhaps you are experiencing something similar to what was reported in those threads.

Regards,
-- Al
Beyond the connection-related possibilities I suggested in my two previous posts, which are easily checked, I agree with those who have suggested that the problems are not being caused by your cabling.

I note in Stereophile's measurements that your speakers present a very demanding load in the bass region, due to a combination of low impedance, highly capacitive phase angles, and low sensitivity. Not sure which version of the 236 amplifier you have, but in the case of the SV-236MK, at least, its measurements suggest that the ability to deal with difficult loads is not its forte. Note that while it can deliver 150W into 8 ohms with both channels driven, it can only deliver 362W into 2 ohms with only one channel driven (the ideal being four times the 8 ohm rating, or 600W into each of the two channels).

I see in your other thread, also, that your room is "small." Room effects could certainly also be a factor.

I think that Michael (Sufentanil) put it well: "Mess with cables only when you're close to the sound you're looking for."

Regards,
-- Al