What speakers would make sense with a 110w SS amp?

Hi All- Here's a beginner's question: I'd like to find some inexpensive speakers (under $700) to go with my older Sansui BA-2000 amp and CA-2000 preamp. The amp is from the late 70s, I think, and according to the manual has 110w per channel at 8 ohms, with 0.03% THD. I'd like to try something a little different than the normal box-type speaker, and am attracted to Magnepans (1st choice), Vandersteen 2s, Klipsch Cornwalls and maybe Dahlquist DQ10s. I listen to jazz, rock, and a little classical. My question is: would the amp be appropriate to drive a pair of Magnepan I, II, or IIIs - - or the other speakers listed? I've read that the Klipschs may need cleaner, fewer watts (tube) to sound decent, so I've all but ruled them out. Thanks in advance for any comments you have!
thewallens4885

Showing 1 response by kotta

Here's an interesting website to learn about the history of Sansui. (www.sansui.us//Amplifiers.htm) I'm not familiar w/your amp, but it should be able to drive the maggies. How well, I do not know. They need lots of current. If that's what really interests you, order a set from their website and give them a listen. You can return them if not satisfied.(The ones that are the home-trial pair. I believe they sell for $550. Model # escapes me @ the moment. MMG's?) No better way to find out if the "Maggie" sound is right for you.