What speakers to match my new cary 805 AE

I just acquired my dream amplifiers, the cary 805 ae. I was not planning to make this purchase but an incredible opportunity presented its self and I had to jump on it. Oh little did I know what a can of worms I have opened for myself. I have just let my wilson W/P 3/2 go so that I might get into a speaker that might be a better matched to that SET sound. The Wilson's by no means sounded bad but you could tell that the amps were struggling to drive the puppies just above moderate listening levels. I have done quite a bit of reading looking for a good match, where that has left me is, CRAZY..Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.
128x128ebagrivet

Showing 2 responses by martykl

I own a pair and they are much less restrictive in speaker matching than most SETs, probably due to their pretty robust power output. I've even successfully used them with the Verity Parsifal/Encore, a modestly difficult load that will devour many SETs alive. So, don't be shy in experimenting - there's a LOT of good choices out there.

Marty

PS, they do sound different with 211s vs 845s, notwithstanding the identical specs of those tubes - so be sure to experiment.
I'll second the Zingalis (S3, in my case) as a good match.... but there is a serious caveat. Mine have foam surrounds, both of which deteriorated (actually, disintegrated is more accurate) over a 5 year period. They look beautiful, sound great, and pair well w/805s, but you can expect this problem to occur in any speaker that uses foam surrounds.

In addition to the Zingali and the Verity P/E, the Merlin VSM MMe is a fine (if very different sounding) mate for the Cary 805s.

Marty