What speakers to match my new cary 805 AE

I just acquired my dream amplifiers, the cary 805 ae. I was not planning to make this purchase but an incredible opportunity presented its self and I had to jump on it. Oh little did I know what a can of worms I have opened for myself. I have just let my wilson W/P 3/2 go so that I might get into a speaker that might be a better matched to that SET sound. The Wilson's by no means sounded bad but you could tell that the amps were struggling to drive the puppies just above moderate listening levels. I have done quite a bit of reading looking for a good match, where that has left me is, CRAZY..Any suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated.
128x128ebagrivet

Showing 2 responses by hjungmd

Hello
I have Cary sacd 306 professional sacd, slp05, Cary 805 AE set up as well. I can say Cary 805 AE is my dream amplifier as well.
I had same struggle with speaker. I had b&w N 802 speaker before this Cary 805AE. Finally I edns up with ProAc D 38 and I am very happy with it. It is relatively sensitive speaker with 4 ohms impedance.
One thing I have to say is that first 100 hours speaker sounds bright and flat. I almost returned it bit after those 100 hours this speaker will give you larger than life clean solid 3 dimensional presentation. Detail but liquid mid range which is result of SET and good speaker.
I have listened original Cary 805 and ProAc Response combination 15 years ago and I have had dream about this amp all the way until a few years ago when I finally bought this system.
I am very happy with this set up.
One last thing, when you put this ProAc D 38 on the floor, use provided spike and do not put anything under besides your floor carpet. In my experience that provide best base response (significant difference)
Happy listening

H.Jung
Hello Amfibius,
I am glad to meet another person who had my current set up.
I am not the person you met in Malaysia. I am in US.
Yes I am a physician who loves music a lot.
I am enjoying this set up a lot but I am curious what system you are using now?

H.Jung