What speakers to buy to match up with my Scott 299

I'm new to the whole audiophile world, and I purchased a Scott 299 tube amp and would like to get speakers that would compliment it. Any suggestions? I typically listen to classical, jazz, and rock music. Thanks!!!
cblossom
Stan -- I just saw your post after posting my response; great minds think alike!

Regards,
-- Al
Key questions would be how big is your room, how far is the listening position from the speakers, what is the range of distances between the speakers and the walls that you would consider, and would you want floor-standing or "bookshelf" speakers (if "bookshelf," preferably on stands).

Without knowing those things, what I would suggest is that you want high efficiency (upwards of 90db sensitivity), due to the relatively limited power output of the 299, and you do NOT particularly want extended deep bass response (because the 299, like most tube amps of that period, has relatively limited bandwidth and lacks good control at very low frequencies).

I use a 299C in my second system -- very nice sound for the money, especially considering that I paid $10 for it!

Regards,
-- Al
Go for one with a relative high efficiency. Take the maximum output power of the amp and figure out what output level you need to fill your room. You room size and listening habits will dictate the level you need. I would look for ones above 90db at a minimum. What does this mean? It means that with an input of one watt you get an output of 90db at one meter. So to get 93db you would use 2 watts, 96db, 4 watts etc. Klipsch and other horns are famous for high efficiency. Audio Note has a good reputation as an efficient non horn loaded speaker. I would check the various audio forums for comments on efficient speakers. If you got your amp from Mapleshade I know the guy who restores them, I have two preamps he made. He is very good. The amp will do fine as long as it is paired with an efficient speaker.