What sounds best: Vinyl or CDs

My system in an introductory level of high end music reproduction, I realize.  I like music, not so much gadgetry so I am content, although I keep tweeking from time to time trying to get better sound.  Martin Logan ESL mains, Def. Tech 800 subs (2),  NAD C375BEE Int. Amp, Project Debut Carton turntable w/Ortofon Red cartridge, Yamaha S300 CD player (with a Rega Apollo R player on order),  Niagara 1000 power conditioner. My question/concern is this:  My CDs sound Sooo much better than my vinyl albums.  My vinyl collection is substantial, from the '60s through the '80s, with all in great condition.  But on my system CDs are more volume sensitive, with more dynamics and depth.  Is this normal or am I missing something in my system?  I had originally thought, "Oh well, they are 40+ years old with 40+ year old recording technology".  But is there more? I have even gone to point of buying the CD if there is a particular vinyl I want to listen to frequently.  Comments?
128x128chipito
I upgraded my cart with noticeable improvement. TT has a built-in preamp so another separate preamp won't do unless I buy another TT.
Wax cylinders man…these convey uncompressed musicality in ways that other media cannot. And player piano rolls, although often these require using your legs to pump the pedals on the player piano which may be unique in High End audio. I often add this to the tasks required of my staff as it provides music to the conservatory and keeps them in shape. Sometimes as a joke I’ll add a few extra holes in the piano rolls which although often adding unnecessary tonal dissonance, my staff is required to note these things or face having to explain why they weren’t paying attention to the music when weekly reviews come around. I’ll fire ’em…I will...
chipito OP2 posts08-18-2017 11:48amI upgraded my cart with noticeable improvement. TT has a built-in preamp so another separate preamp won't do unless I buy another TT.

@Chipito, this is your problem.  If you have the Project Debut Carbon, it does NOT have a built-in preamp.  This was my original point about why you notice the volume is way lower than a CD and less dynamic.  This is from page 4 of the Carbon user manual:  
  • Use the Phono input (sometimes labelled gram, disc or RIAA) on your amplifier. Make sure that the phono input offers correct matching and amplification for the type of cartridge used. Line inputs (such as CD, Tuner, Tape or Video) are not suitable. Take care to connect the left and right channels correctly. The right channel is usually marked red, the left channel black or white. Check the manual supplied with your amplifier for relevant information. The earthing wire of the tonearm lead should be connected to the earth terminal on your amplifier (if provided). 
  • If your amplifier does not have an input suitable for phono cartridges you will require a separate phono amplifier stage for MM or MC cartridges which is then connected between the record player and a free line level input of the amplifier. For detailed product information regarding Pro-Ject Audio interconnect cables and phono amplifiers please refer to the Pro-Ject web site www.project-audio.com. The recommended load impedance for the factory.
Your NAD does also not have a phono input.   So, this is your issue.  You can get a very inexpensive phono amp to get started.  I've seen them as low as $40 or so.   
Further research, I see the Debut Carbon Phono USB turntable has a built in preamp.  If that is the one you have, then it does have a built in phono preamp, which should be a good match to the cartridge you had.

I still suspect an issue with the preamp.  Perhaps have your dealer or a local shop take a look at it.  In fact, it should have similar volume control to the CD player, and should have a much more dynamic sound quality.