What Sonically is the Difference between a $1,500 CD Player and a $10K-$25K One?

I realize opinions may vary, but if I could give an example of two CD players perhaps someone can give me their thoughts on the cost benefits of either one? What would be the difference in your opinion between say a Cambridge Audio Azur 851C CD Player and the Gryphon Scorpio S CD Player? And are the difference truly audible or more technical and rather indiscernible through human hearing?

In general, what makes a CD player (other than build components) 10x more costly than a decently built one other than features?
mrc4u

Showing 1 response by bigkidz

Price does not indicate the design and parts quality.  I can make a great looking chassis and put crap inside and sell it for much more that a cardboard box chassis.  But I can also make a product and put it into a cardboard box that would also sound great.

When I look at "expensive" components, I rarely see high quality parts such as custom transformers, capacitors and resistors.  I see mostly aluminum chassis milled from thick aluminum.  Looks great but sounds better than the less expensive stuff.

When I modify something I start with the power supply and filter the AC first, then improve the capacitors and resistors.  Plus point-to-point wiring.  When you find something like that, you will hear the differences within 30 seconds.