What should you hear?

I'm new to the hobby and curious what type of imaging sound stage you should hear.  I have a pair of Vandersteen 2ce signatures and they sound great.  What I find however is that the imaging, sound stage is very dependent on the recording.   

Norah Jones?  She sounds like she's sitting right in the room.  It's amazing.  

One I'm particularly interested in learning more about is Brubek's Take Five.   The saxophone images great.  Sounds dead center.  The piano however is clearly coming from the right hand speaker and the drums are clearly coming from the left.  Is this typical? 

Thanks for your input and tolerating a "newbie" question. 
mvrooman1526

Showing 1 response by mvrooman1526

Thank you everyone.  This information has saved a lot of angst and most likely a lot of money chasing after something that wasn't necessarily supposed to be present with all recordings.   You read so much about the speakers disappearing and the depth of the sound stage, which I do get on many tracks, but was very curious about Take Five as it's such a famous audiophile song.  I thought I may have something lacking when the specific instruments were clearly coming from one speaker or the other.     I listened to it again last night and was really able to enjoy it knowing that was the intended sound.