What should my heirs do to dispose of my vinyl and CDs?

I am typing up a document with all details of my system components and cables with approximate values.  No one else in the family knows anything about high end audio.  I suggested they sell the gear at US Audiomart.  What should I suggest they do with the vinyl and digital discs in my reasonably large collection?  I want them to get to others who can enjoy them when I no longer can. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

128x128hifiman5

One of the main things you can do to help your heirs sort through the remains of your music hobby is to separate out and list the the more valuable titles in your collection - both CD and vinyl. Here are a few specific tips:

Sort and group any vinyl records from audiophile labels. Sub group them by label and any other special characteristic such as half speed mastering. All records with audiophile labels hold their value if they are in good condition. Some can be worth big bucks.

Figure out if you have any early pressings of old albums from famous rock artists such as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. Same thing with jazz. Again, group them together.

Create another sub group for anything that you think is unusual or has additional value over the typical popular album. This could include out of print box sets, collectible artists, etc.

If you collect SACDs then obviously sub group them out of your CD collection.

Sort out any discs from audiophile labels or have audiophile formats such as XRCD. Segregate any gold CDs.

If you collect any unusual genres that are hard to find you should separate out those too. For example, I have a pretty good collection of Ska CDs that are mostly out of print. Much of this stuff is not available on the streaming services. People still collect this music and there are some record stores that specialize in this genre.

Do you have a player that decodes HDCD discs? If so, you probably, have an idea of which titles you own that are HDCD (there is a logo on the case and the CD). There are people like me who collect this format and a potential buyer will appreciate having them sorted out.

The point here is to use your experience to separate the wheat from the chaff in your collection so that your heirs realize a better value. If you have collected audiophile records and discs over the decades you probably have more than you think. When your kids call the record buyer they can tell them about the audiophile titles and any other valuable records which will definitely spark their interest. The buyer will want to buy only the good stuff but your kids can tell them that they have to take it all of they want any of it.

Good suggestion above about cataloging your titles on Discogs but doing the whole works will probably be a daunting task. If you just do your most desirable titles that will take an additional burden from your family. They can steer a potential buyer to the list so the buyer can see the cream of your collection.

I don't have to tell you that dying is a huge hassle for your surviving family which is why you should avoid it. You are a good Dad to be thinking through this stuff while you are still cutting your own meat.

I had / have the same concern.  I don't want my system or records winding up in a garage sale.  I have a specific 'codicil' added to our last will and testament that spells out what is to be done if no one (in the family) wants our music system and records.  One of those requirements is placing the items on this site for sale or auction, after careful research.  I have verbally warned my 2 daughters, who have no interest, against dumping my stuff as quickly as possible.  This was followed up with a verbal warning that I would come back and haunt them if they did.....time will tell.

Post removed 

I've been sorting through gobs of paperwork lately (life insurance policies and money accounts that I never got around to updating since getting married 31 years ago).

Maybe once this is all straightened out I may think about the HiFi music stuff, but probably not.

Anyway, this story about Bob Hope pretty much sums up my take on life/death.

• According to one of his daughters, when on his death bed, Bob Hope was asked where he would like to be buried. The comedian raised an eyebrow and answered, “Surprise me.”

DeKay