What should be my next phono stage after ear834

I want to get that bloom I heard at a show room from a $7000.00 phono stage (german made martinson) . I can max out at $29oo.oo used. I have noticed aesthetix rhea, manley, halcro, bat, herron, pass, rowland, graham, syrah, lamm, jadis, tom evans, levinson, audio research, conrad johnson, whest, sonic frontiers, boulder, etc. What will approach the boulder if that happens to be the best?
pedrillo

Showing 1 response by david12

If you have settled on tubes, I don't think you will welcome going back to SS, of the ones you list, the WHest seems the best value to me. I agree with Art, the EAR is great value, but can be transformed by modding it.
I am in the situation of having a good SS unit, a Clearaudio reference and am looking to go "tube" to match my 845 SET amp. I looked around and searched the Asylum and Audiogon and am going for a K&K Audio phono stage kit. I am sure I can't build it, but I will get someone else to clear up the mess after I've tried. At $1500, its great value and with the inbuilt step up, can be boosted to 64DB gain. many great tube units don't have quite enough gain i.e Conrad Johnson Prem 15, for lower output MC cartridges