What screen to buy with $1500?????

Hi: I have a small room, completely dark and no more than 2 people will watch DVDs in there form 10' away, thus fully centered. I have US$1500 to spend (new). Is it better to buy a small 20-24" LCD or Plasma, a 34-36" regular wide-screen CRT (Sony Wega) or a 40" rear projection CRT? what make or model? I will use component cabling from a McCormack UDP-1.

Thanks
beheme

Showing 1 response by willhitx2eb4

Take look at the Sony XBR960 34" wide screen. I've had mine for a couple months and the pic is gorgeous. It is a "Super Fine Pitch" set that makes all the analog cable stuff not only watchable, but very impressive. And DVD's are to die for. The Masters in HDTV made me cry.....hehehe.

However the set's depth (24") does remove a bit of the sound stage depth of my Martin Logan Aeriusi fronts. I can't move them forward since they are dipoles and need back wall reinforcement. But movie dialogue is married to the screen beautifully. I don't use a center channel speaker and you shouldn't either in the room you described. Turn the TV's speakers off and enjoy the show.