What’s your vote for the most ridiculous, overpriced, and useless tweak?

My vote: Furutech Outlet Cover 105 NCF $220, with “special crystalline material that has two “active” properties.” https://www.thecableco.com/outlet-cover-105-ncf.html

glow_worm

When I wrote the OP, I thought that some of the stuff being peddled these days is SO outlandish that there would be a general consensus, and we could share some examples. Oops.

It wasn’t a conspiracy to divide people into “two camps” (and then divide and conquer apparently). Ok well it was, but it wasn’t my idea…it was my Mini-Me. My apologies, he can be an uncontrollable rascal.

One thing I did learn with this thread is about the ‘old guard’ on the Forum. Some are great (knowledgeable and generous), and some...not so much. Unfortunate because many newbies are interested in getting started in what can be a rewarding lifetime hobby, they post, and get ‘jumped’. Surprising because this is not politics, it’s (ostensibly) a hobby.

Out of all this though, I have to admit that this one threw me Geoffkait:

“Footnote: I almost stopped reading the post when I saw the poster “has been involved in the hobby for over 40 years.” It’s kind of a tip off of what’s to follow.”

Any possibility you could enlighten us as to what you meant by this? Guessing…only the self-anointed ones have valid opinions? But, eh, what do I know right?

Post removed 
It's easy to think that because one thinks in a certain fashion that others do as well. That's not how it works necessarily. Some may think as you do. Some will not.

Consider the quote "Anyone who thinks audio is a plug-and-play hobby doesn’t understand the problem. "

For most, audio IS a plug and play hobby. Most prefer to purchase a completed and well thought out product, plug it in, and be done with it.

Most normal people anyway.

I remember when I had Marantz 8b's and for a time 5's. There was all that nervous fiddling about with the bias, it was such a bother going back and forth and knowing that even though I had set it yesterday it had moved and that it was wrong now and I had to get up and set it again.

Who needs that?

When I started making my own amplifiers, and I've made hundreds by hand from scratch, I vowed to make them all with cathode bias. Nothing to adjust. No nervous fiddling about. No fuss. No bother.

It wasn't only the old adage that if you give the customer something to adjust, you can count on it being adjusted incorrectly, it was that I could not stand the bother that the other method caused.

I've never had a complaint from a customer that making things easier for them was an issue. Never.

Now some live to fuss and fiddle. That's fine for them. To project their psychosis onto others such that plug and play  is some sort of problem is seriously misguided. Not all audiophiles need to tweak and twerk and fuss and fiddle like whirling dervishes. Some of us prefer the ease and restful repose that listening to music can provide without the frenetic jumping about that constantly twiddling entails.

Is the point of the hobby listening and enjoying or is it in fussing and perhaps pestering others endlessly such that they must listen to one's misguided viewpoint? Why would one spend quite so much time and effort constantly badgering others that there is a "problem" when in fact the problem is the badgering, not that others disagree?

Why are others not allowed to disagree?

Honestly, those that can't sit down because they have ants in their pants have my permission to do so. Be as you are. Enjoy yourself. We're all different. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Do not however, attempt to presume that your way is the only way or even the way of the majority of audiophiles. Most really do not care about obsessions of that type. It would be better if there were a bit of grace and acceptance of the fact that there is push back when one's ideas are not roundly accepted as Gospel.

Ever deal with a pushy salesman that would not shut up? Ever know somebody that, when they finally leave a group, everybody was leaping to make comments about? Ever know somebody like that?

I'm just sayin'

Wise words indeed... I agree with your rant...But my point and I must say that yes I had ants in my pants,my point is about those that shout again the interest and value of any tweaks for the easy pleasure to shout against something in an audio forum... For the rest you are totally right...My best to you...