What's your profession? Age?

Just thought after the "how much is your system worth" post that it would be nice to see what all these people do to get $80K systems, and perhaps how long it takes. I'm a 29-year old economist for the gov., just completeed my Ph.D. last month, and my system is at about $10K. Just a pup hoping to keep upgrading...
128x128felthove
Old enough to know better.

Retired, now 67 years old!
Former Senior Buyer and Senior Engineer for US Steel.

I just scanned some of the pages for names that I remember. Many of them do not post anymore. Too bad.

ozzy
I'm in my late 60's and am blissfully retired.  I made my living at a couple of major Hollywood film studios in what is euphemistically called "development."   Ya know the old insult that goes "who's the idiot who told them to make that movie?"  Well, it was me.  I have my share of hits, as well.  Some I'm proud of.  Some of which I'm still amazed they pulled in so much money.   Academy Award winners?  A handful.  My audio system, btw, cost me around the five figure mark.
Recently turned 60. My interest in stereos and music predictably go back to my teen years- first heard of AR, KLH, Dual etc. around 1974. Cobbled together a system in 1975 or 1976 out of old bits and pieces. By 1977 I bought a basic system - receiver, speakers and turntable- in 1977. I was already aware of the likes of McIntosh, Rectilinear, etc by then. By 1978 I heard of Dahlquist and others. First trickle of hi-end interest was in 1982 or 1983 and my first hi end purchase (ie, non mass market gear) was a Thorens table in 1985. By 1989 I had Adcom electronics and magneplanar speakers. 

I am an attorney; I’ve also worked in a factory, retail sales, and a pro photographer.