What's your experience with snooty HiFi salesmen?

I began my Hifi journey in 1976 at a shop in Birmingham MI called Audio Dimensions. He was a Magnapan and ARC dealer who was kind to a 15 year old kid who bought a set of MG 1s with paper route money. The ARC amps he carried were about $4K back then- a LOT of money in 1976. In the beginning I drove my MG 1s with an old Fisher Studio Standard integrated amp. Since those lovely innocent days I have encountered some real buttholes. They act like they are doing me a favor as they quiz me about what gear I have and if I'm listening to "approved" recordings. Needless to say I don't buy from those guys. Several wives and businesses later I'm back into the hobby with a much vengeance as a 61 year old  can muster given only so many free hours in a day and only so much cash to apply due to my other vices: Classic cars and salt water fishing. 

Have you ever encountered a really good or really bad dealer (or employee) that changed your buying actions?

Darko posted a video on this topic which I found really enjoyable. Many of you have already seen it but for those (like me) who discovered it much later here's the link: 

https://darko.audio/2022/09/audiophiles-are-snobs-with-money-to-burn/

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xyesiam_a_pirate

Yes. If I go to a new store I try an get to the owner / manager first and basically interview him to see if we click. If not I move on. There are some incredibly great audio dealers and some duds. I have had three dealers that have been friends also for twenty years. They are worth finding. I have no patience for egotistical, stupid, or inexperienced dealers.

FWIW I usually only go into a brick and mortar store with a specific goal. i.e. to see/hear something specific. I do not go in to discuss my equipment, ask for advise, or engage in ’audiophile’ topics. I will not encourage a salesman by opening a general conversation about audio topics. Faced with this attitude if they insist on asking questions to fortify their sales pitch, I will walk out and move on. Life is too short.

Incidentally, when I was starting into the really high end stuff, the best salesman/owner that I’ve ever run across was able to engage me about my equipment by being respectful and attentive. He always he always praised my stuff!!!! And after a conversation would offer me the opportunity to hear his stuff which he thought I might like. No sales pitch or pressure. This was back when I needed some helpful advise. BTW, he went broke and closed his beautiful store with all its high end stuff on display, because he overextended himself and tried to make his store a musical experience as well by having regular events where musicians would play live (not to listen to audio stuff). Too many audiophiles I think and not enuf customers who prized music first. The ’audiophiles’ just wanted to listen to his really high end stuff, then shop it on the internet and buy it used. Small wonder that some B&M stores have some rude folks.

I usually go to three places.   

Natural Sound  in Framingham MA

Aidio Visual Therapy Nashua NH

Fidelis  in Nashua 

All good places to deal with , never snobby 

+1 oddiofyl I just recently purchased a preamp from Fidelis and have dealt with them and the other two you mentioned in the past. All were low key ,respectful and polite.