What's wrong with classical music on vinyl?

As I go through my collection of classical music on vinyl, and get new ones from record stores and eBay, I notice that I am not impressed with the sound quality. Most of my pop music albums sound fine. The classical (even sealed), on the other hand, sounds full of static, noise, and pops that completely drown out the music. The rubber surrounds on my woofers ripple visibly, and the more intense passages become distorted (particulary the brass instruments). (And yes, I've tried it with minimal volume, to test the feedback theory, and with the same results.) I've tried extensive record cleaning with some of the most recommended products. On the other hand, my non-classical music sounds fine. Madonna, Yes, and Simon and Garfunkel play fine. So do Crosby Stills + Nash, REM, and Nickelback.

The only thing I can think of is that the classical music tends to be recorded at a much lower volume, thereby causing a low signal to noise ratio, whereas the pop music is inherently recorded at a higher volume, and this helps to drown out the noise.

I'm beginning to think that I should stick to CD's or brand-new 200g LP's for classical music from here on.

Any comments/suggestions?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil

Showing 4 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Just my own opinion here,obviously.I have both, an analog and digital set-up.Decent enough stuff.Levinson 390s,and SOTA COSMOS series III/Graham 2.2/Transfiguration Temper-v.I DO have an extensive collectio of both Analog(Early Deccas,EMI,RCA's,Lyrita).I have my digital for the stuff that is NEW.Music is the first priority.Albert has very valid points!I have seldom heard the variety of annoying areas in my analog collection.My series of NONESUCH Avante Garde discs are dead quiet,with superb dynamic range.My digital always has that characteristic of low noise,quiet backgrounds and all other characteristics, that the medium offers(I'm not complaining),but,OVERALL,maybe because I chose my discs carefully,or luck,the vinyl offers a greater sense of reality,TO ME.More REAL information.As to the original question in this thread,I have no other assumption other than to assume there is a problem in set-up,or system.Analog can be Incredible!Digital is fine.I've heard all the latest stuff,by EMM/Wadia/DCS etc.My conclusion(only my opinion)is that,after being a "MUSIC" collector for over 35 years,ANALOG is where the REALISM ENVELOPE is being pushed, the most.Sorry!I'm prepared for the negative comments.To me the WHOLE industry(audio)has moved away from what an old reviewer once said,that I never forgot."It is the ART of music reproduction,in the home".There is no real support structure for the finer points of this anymore.Dealers want to sell the DIGITAL stuff(which is still valid,and fine to me),which is a plug in, and, be happy format.Analog takes some work.Tube rolling.Tweaking in a table and arm.Dialing in a cartridge.A pain in the ass.I LOVE IT!!I love my digital too,but it is my Vinyl that NOURISHES my musical appetite.It just sounds more convincing.To me, what has happened in the hobby is like what you see every year at Christmas time; endless commercials "HAWKING" stuff they want you to think you "should need".Have you ever(once)seen a guy or gal tie a ribbon on a 50,000 dollar car (in the living room,yet).Or,Grandma being pissed off at the family for not getting her a digital camera?The audio industry has gotten "REAL SMART",now "YOUNG PISHERS" who could care less about great music(plenty of classical)or, who never new how to toil (ANALOG)to "DIAL in a DESIRED SOUND" are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.I REALLY have to LAUGH!!!
Right on the money!Not only does classical music place more demands on the system,it is also FAR more difficult for a cartridge to track the complex and massive forces,with the instrumental variety involved.This is where proper arm/cartridge set up is SUPREMELY important.Unfortunately,this is a tough task,so,I'm not blaming those who want to take a shot at the vinyl crowd.However,unless you are really impatient or inept,wonderful results can be had!Now I have to go and listen to my new CD of Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orch. doing the sound track to the latest Ken Burns Documentary---"Unbearable Blackness",WOW it's not half bad,for mere digital!Actually,the music is SO DAMN GOOD that I'm not thinking about the storage medium.
I don't want to get into any animosity related feelings here,as this is becoming a hot topic.Just my 2 cents worth.I have and love both formats,for the music!Always first,as Albert has put it.I can't get artists like John Zorn on vinyl.His stuff released on the TZADIK label (which he owns) sounds great and the music is incredible.

There are other fabulous releases that are just too much money,on vinyl,if you are a collector,as I am.Case in point,artists like William Kappel(sp?)who's piano style is amazing and the entire repertoire of his short life was put out on 10 CD's,which I just bought for about 1/500 of what the originals would cost.

There are other incredible releases of "NEW" music that I must have.Madeiline Peyroux's new album,some sound tracks,the music to the Ken Burns film "Unbearable Blackness" with music by Wynton Marsalis.I just LOVE being able to keep up with what I like.

That being said--You really have to be a "YUTZ" to sit there constantly listening for differences in formats.Sometimes I do,when I hear an aberration in the particular medium.Then I wonder how it might have sounded in a different format.Only then do I do this.However, it is exactly the same as wondering what an early pressing of an lp would sound like,if you have a later pressing."YOU can dig this ALBERT",am I right?I've seen your rig,and you have to have PLENTY of early pressings!!

I have been a "MUSIC" lover all my life,and I'm old (according to my 21 year old).I have obtained,with alot of hard work,a really fine lp collection.I pride myself with coming up with many unique and offbeat lp's of fabulous and interesting music.Remember,the lp era lasted a really long time,so there are some amazing and varied types of albums out there.What am I supposed to do?Dump them all,because some of you are "RATIONALIZING" off the vinyl format partly because you are IMO spoiled by the simplicity of CD.Easy to "plug and play" and get music.Hey,there is nothing wrong with that.

My son is 24 yrs old and will not listen through many of my lp's.He was brought up on Computer games and digital.What could I expect?However he "REALLY" changed his tune one night,when some of his more musically sophisticated pals were over and wanted to hear my VINYL,yes, lp's.They were curious because they had "Heard about LP playback from their ANCESTORS".

Now I had my time to have the new generation experience BOTH/BOTH/BOTH formats.These were "HIP" kids and I had to literally kick them out of my listening room!!They loved the digital(a mere Levinson 390s),but were BLOWN AWAY by the lp's I played.They were shocked by the,YES,superior sound!!In their words.I did not have to even ask.BOY was that satisfying.Now I'm cool to my son.What a laugh.

Vinyl has some really rich rewards.I,also don't blame anyone for goofing on the stuff.It leaves more stuff in circulation for me to acquire.Thanks for staying exclusively with your digital gear.I truly hope you guys(who are trying to get a rise out of well intentioned "Gentlemen" like Alber Porter)keep loving your digital gear.I love mine.I just like vinyl better.My Generation "Y" friends did to,once they heard it correctly.

Oh,yea--I just got a new transfiguration temper cartridge for a retip charge of 1000.The list is about 4,000.00.My previous model was 8 1/2 years old.Not too pricey IMO!!