What's up with the ridiculous offers?!?

Is it just me or are the high volume of low-ball offers surprising anyone else?

Example: I list an item at 60% off what a current, desirable  component sold for new, and I get an offer for half (or less) of what I am asking! I've have been buying and selling high end audio & video gear for over 40 years and I know the value of gear, but I have never experienced such an destructive trend. I expect it from Craigslst or at a garage sale, but not from Audiogon.

I understand an occasional low offer, and it's usually accompanied with an explanation or apology for the balz it takes to make such an offer, but I am getting absolutely offensive offers for more than 75% of what I list.  

Are there any other sellers that would like to commiserate with me? Am I missing something? Is it just me?

- REV
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xva6007

Showing 2 responses by va6007

" Why so hard to just ignore and move on?  "

This kind of negative trend can greatly affect our love and passion for the "art" of high-end audio. Trust me; I've been

Most people don't realize the impact that used gear value has on the entire industry for both new and used items. This trend of undervaluing components is very destructive, not to mention disrespectful.

Sorry...I just can't ignore it (but I'll try Mr. Yin Yang).
Ah, the voice of reason!

Thanks for the warm fuzzy bcgator!

For the record; I don't get offended by an occasional low offer; again, I've been doing this for over 40 years. I get offended by multiple ridiculous offers that don't even warrant the "strike" of my decline button.

I almost always accept offers within 10%-15% of my asking price. And when I am buying, I expect similar...no more.