What's the problem with Sony 777ES SACD?

I'm wondering why so many for sell on the Sony 777ES SACD player. Most people sell the unit with in 12 months.
vtgse
Only a month ago, people were taking the price back up on the 777 after good press in TAS and others..and new SACD titles getting good reviews.

Now the multi-channel units are comming out..and getting good reviews..so, perhaps, people are feeling it is a good time to "cash-out" their 777. Maybe, maybe not.

Audiophiles are an "ebb and flow" crowd...but some of the best of audio gear is like a quote I once heard....
"A 20 year old Ferrari, is not necessarily a bad car"...

Look in the Virtual Systems area of A'goN. Some of the best sound-per-dollar systems in there are made up of former state-of-the-art components...for pennies on the dollar.
My guess is the lack of software.I purchased a SCD-1 and after about a year sold it. One reason,lack of software.In the whole scheme of things,the choices still are pretty thin.Let's face it,the Bangles and Cyndi Lauper are pretty lame for a 5 grand player and overpriced cd's.Originally I thought the idea to be great,but as usual the music industry continues to shoot themselves in the foot.
I agree w/Amwarwick. The boys at Music Direct told me the reason there are no Led Zepplin SACD's is the $12 million fee to "rent" the masters. If Sony were serious, they'd pony up the dough and give us what we want (Beatles, Stones, you know, white punks on dope). Guess they're feelin' the pinch in Japan, Inc. these days. Hey! This is America! We do it all the way or we don't do it!
You will see that most 777es are being sold for what was originaly paid, or more than what they were bought for.Whether SACD survives or not,you still have superb transport that rivals those costing mnay times more.The 777es was a steal a 1500.00,and those selling, are getting there money back plus some.Selling any piece of electronics and geting 100% return for a used piece is not a bad investment.
The only problem is the 777es originally sold for $3500.00 when they were first released and then Sony took it upon themselves to lower the price $1000.00 to $2500.00. I find a problem with that kind of marketing. I was an owner of a 777es, fortunatly I bought at $2500.00, so selling for $2000.00 several months later, I didn't realize a real big hit. Releasing cheaper SACD players for the mass consumer is fine, but lowering the price of their flagship player surly discourages high end buyers from considering future purchases of their product, at least it will for me...Bob
Many audiophiles have discovered (unfortunately) that all is not well in SACD land. The problem is two-fold.

Firstly, Sony (like all Japanese digital player manufacturers) use very mediocre sounding output devices, which greatly hinder the true sonic ability of their players. Additionaly, they could learn a thing or two about employing ultra-quality sounding power supplies. These engineering oversights have always been the downfall of all Japanese players, and I am still surprised of the ignorance of the audio reveiwer community, and their inability to recognize this problem. (Maybe they do know, and are not telling us for some reason)

Secondly, although the new SACD format has a certain sonic "fluidity" that is superior sounding as compared to standard CD's. SACD also has a noise overlay problem in the digital section, that creates its own set of sonic problems. This can be heard by doing an A/B comparison against a properly executed and designed standard 24/96 machine, which does not have to deal with such severe digital noise. Again, why doesn't the reveiwer community recognize this other engineering problem?

If you do decide to buy any SACD player, I strongly suggest that you have the output devices stripped out and replaced by a competant modifier, like Stan Warren.

It is my humble opinion that virtually all high end digital companies would damn near go out of business, if companies like Sony just did a little more homework on their choice of power supply componentry and output devices.