What's the bottom line on Oppo 980 for CD playback

Ok, apparently no uni player excells at CD playback. I'd like to get something that isn't obsolete right out of the box. Can this thing really satisfy me as a CD player? What about these reports I have heard about it cutting off the first few seconds of every disc? Are you having this problem? Is anybody really using it for CD enough to care? For now, I don't care about SACD, Video, DVDA, Multi Channel, etc. I heard the Cary DVD 8 at over $1000. and was unimpressed, especially when compared to their $4000. CD player. Where should I turn? Cambridge 740? Music Hall 25? Any DVDers that are good with CD? Thanks for any info or input, Chris H.
hifiharv

Showing 3 responses by pdn

This is an excellent question. I've never auditioned any of the Oppo line of players but I hear good feedback. However, one has to be suspicious as to how can a manufacture jam pack a player with all of these features including SACD capability, 1080p HDMI upscaling, and all sorts of audio features I've never heard of for $169.00? Could many of these features just be fluff?

Hell, even the Marantz CD5001 dedicated CD player for $300.00 can not decode SACD's and it's just a CD player. No video capability. You do get what you pay for as others above have mentioned. If you're looking for just a decent quality audio CD player and not concerned with all of those HD formats and no video but don't have much to spend, consider the NAD BEE series or the Marantz I mentioned above. You'll need to spend in the $300.00 area for new gear or less for preowned but really, $300.00 is truly low for something considered to be non mass marketed. I'd be suspicious of any product that boasts so many high end features for such a low price but that's just my humble opinion.
OK, so how do you audition an OPPO player if they're sold only via the Internet? That's the flaw with these components that are not sold in retail high-end audio stores such as Outlaw and Oppo. You're unable to visit a store and compare these units with other brands which we all know is the only way to truly audition audio components and make the right decision. So the manufacturer saves on cost because they don't sell thru retail stores and don't advertise. That really limits their exposure and reach to the consumer (Sales/Marketing 101).

I and probably many folks are uninterested in purchasing a unit, have it shipped in, try it out, then turn around and ship it back at our cost if it turns out not to be satisfactory and wait for a refund. What a hassle and waste of time. Who has the time for that?
Kr4 and Tgrisham:

You both make very valid opposing points and that's what is great about this forum. Yes, I can see the advantages of going this way. However, most reputable higher end audio stores have a standard 30 day return policy with a full refund. Mine does. I guess too I feel very loyal to my store and the main sales person who has spent so much time with me these past few years. He has always been so truthful and right on. Never once mislead me. He works his tail off and I value that highly. We can't let these stores go away. They're not just a retail store but a center for learning from the pros. We've got to continue to support them. Thanks for the good debate gents !!