What's the best integrated amp in the $1500-$2000 range?

I'm looking for an integrated amp for roughly $1000, but could be convinced to go a bit higher for something that performs way outside the price range.  My primary focus is analog for my vinyl collection, but I would like to add digital source either from a network streamer or perhaps just bluetooth  from a phone.

Not to overly complicate the question, but I'd also consider something used that's in mint or near perfect condition.
msafrick

Showing 2 responses by reubent

I've owned many integrated amps over the years, both tube and solid state, from the following companies: Plinius, Bryston, Arcam, Anthem, Rega, Peachtree, Cayin, Antique Sound Labs and I'm sure there are others I've forgotten. Out of all the integrated amps I've owned, my favorite is my current integrated - the Rega Elicit-R. It has plenty of power to drive most speakers (is driving my 4 ohm speakers with ease), is a musical, full sounding amp with great bottom end, and it has a really decent MM phono pre-amp built in. There is one on AudiogoN right now, listed at $1500. If you can get away with a little less power, there is the very similar Rega Elex-R listed here for only $980. That is a great bargain IMHO.

Unless you plan to buy a relatively expensive separate phono pre-amp, having a decent one built-in is a good way to go. Saves you money on interconnect cables, power cord and the price of the phono pre-amp.

Good Luck. I hope you find one that makes you happy.
@msafrick - The Rega Elicit-R really surprised me. I read a review or two and it sounded like it would be a good match for me. Musical, with a really solid bottom end. I don’t want to use a sub, so I wanted an amp that could help my speakers produce good bass. That, plus having a good built-in phono stage, in a relatively small form factor, sold me. I bought mine used at somewhere around $1500 (+/- $200, don’t really remember). Anyway, once I got it I was really impressed by the build quality. It feels like it’s milled from a solid block of aluminium. One caveat, it does sound better after it’s been powered up and gets warm. Because of this, I leave mine on 24X7.

Good luck. I hope you find something that makes you happy!