What's the best EL84 amp?

My speakers have loved the two I’ve tried, both vintage. I would love to spend some money and get a great EL84 amp. Any suggestions? Not interested in an integrated. 

dhcod

Showing 4 responses by car123

I've had a music reference RM-10 mk 1 for many years and absolutely love it.  I'm currently using it in my second system but, in the past, tried it in the main system in place of my joule electra rites of passage to see how it would sound.  I liked it so much I kept it in place for many months before reinserting the rites.

I'm running a matched quad of sovteks in it.  

Mine is super stable and quiet.  It has a magical addictive quality to it.  I believe the reasons there are so few for sale is there aren't very many of them, and everyone who has one simply doesn't want to let it go. 

I'll be interested in hearing your impressions dhcod.

The joules were incredible. I had them for many years but passed them on to a new home after I bought a VZN-80 and found it just as satisfying in my system as the rites but in a smaller (and cooler) package. My main speakers are quintessence prototype and they are extremely efficient. I’m currently powering them with a first watt SIT-3, which I find to be a smooth, detailed, quiet and addictive small amp, much like the RM-10. The little class A pass amp sounds exceptional driving the quintessence.

Enjoy your RM-10. They are very special. I will never sell mine.

I think the SIT-3 needs a very particular type of speaker to work well, that being high efficiency but low impedance.  My quintessence are low to mid 90db efficient with a 4 ohm nominal load.  I also have a pass x 150.8 but it never leaves class A with my speakers and the SIT-3 is ever so slightly sweeter.  I'll list the 150.8 for sale soon....

The RM-10 is magical in the mids, silky in the highs, but bass shy.  I have run mine regularly with a subwoofer.