What's inside the plinth of your Garrard 401?

I will soon take delivery of a Garrard 401. I have seen pictures of the unit and it will come without a plinth. So - as I go through the Virtual Systems to look at plinths of 401 owners, I notice most of them are custom-made and very creative.

How did you make such a beautiful table? Did your carpenter do it? Did it yourself? What kind of wood and how much should you pay for it? And what's inside the plinth?

Thanks,
George
ngeorge

Showing 4 responses by ngeorge

Wow! That's a beauty, Rodney!

The 401, I believe, is set at 50Hz, having being used in England. In the U.S., it needs a 60Hz pulley - what's this? (Sorry, I'm somewhat mechanically-challenged). If I don't change the pulley, would it damage the unit?

Thanks,
George
Now that the hoopla is over over the Super Bowl, might life go back to normal?

The 401 I bought is a NOS, which means it has never seen the lignt of day. Nor spun a record; and surely needs lubrication.

During the last two days, I've been reading on this table. It is not as popular as the 301, but mechanically allegedly better. What gives the 301 a cult-like status is, eh, I really don't know, except it has a more old-fashioned look? Plays mono better? These are just some of the things I have learned about the 401.

About the plinth: There's a seller in Eastern Europe who custom-make them, quite nice. It costs about $110.00 and shipping is $130.00!

I will continue to explore other places for a nice plinth; shouldn't get too excieted because I still don't have it in my hands.

But I've read and seen some tables that are incredibly beautiful. I've also read that they sound very good.

George
Thanks for the site, Crem1.

You're right, their plinths don't come cheap.

Rodney, Lewm, about the 60Hz pulley: If I don't use it, can I compensate the speed by adjusting the speed adjustor?

George
Thanks for the info, Crem1, but how long do I need to wait for it to happen?

Wow! The Shindo Labs 301 is a real beauty - and a real up-there price, too!

I need to find a good carpenter. (I have a feeling this is going to take a while to finish this project. Sigh...:(

George