what's better than a milk crate? lol

I have a pair of dyi speakers that are 11 in deep and 9in wide and 23 in tall, they weigh around 30lbs a piece. I am needing stands and can't find a large enough base. Also since they are dyi don't have height recommendation. Currently have them sitting on some cheap wood stands sitting on top of milk crates. I know bad idea but was a quick way to raise them. Will good stands make much of a inprovement?
52tiger
3way speaker 7in woofer and the tweeter is on top, these were made like a silverline, using the same type speakers. thanks,Scott
They should be raised so the tweeter is at ear level....You can go to Home depot or a local hardware store and by some 3/4" MDF cut a pice to the same size as the speaker, then cut another about a 1" bigger for the bottom and get some 4" Plastic PVC and mounts to mount it to the MDF.
Fill with sand

You can even get some nuts and 3" bolts and make spike out of them

You should be able make these for about $35
Buy paving stones in 12 x 12 oe larger. They are 2-3 bucks each about 2" thick and can be stacked to height.
There were some cool DIY stands made by a reviewer on 6 moons, can't remember what they were called. They were made from Ikea parts -- legs were from a stool I believe, and platform was a square cutting board. They were holding up a pair of Mark & Daniel monitors and looked great! The parts to use and assembly instructions were provided.