What's best for Tannoy D-700s?

I finally have the opportunity to upgrade my system. I have been lugging around the extremely heavy Tannoy D-700s with me for years now, and have read that many audiophiles think they are guite good. I have not been happy with the sound I've gotten out of them, and suspect that this is due to not having the right amp, wiring and wall positioning.

So to all you marvelous audiophiles: please help me select an integrated amp, used or new, that would pair well with my Tannoys. Also, please let me know if it is really important to bi-wire them or do exotic things with their cross-overs.

I would like to spend less than $1500 on the amp (used). The ideal for me would be that the amp also supports 5 channel surround sound for a yet-to-be-purchased surround system, but I understand that in most cases, 5 or 7 channel amps in a range I can afford will not do both jobs well. So I'd also appreciate any advice as to whether having, for example, a 7 channel amp would work or if I should stick to 2 channel.

For those unfamiliar with the Tannoys, here are the specs from the manufacturer:

Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Minimum Impedance: 3 ohms
Sensitivity: 93dB/w
Frequency Response: 30Hz to 30KHz (=/- 3dB)
Maximum Input Power: 150watts
beranrose

Showing 1 response by jbatlanta

Definitely Bi-wiring. Investigate bi-amping as well. There are articles on vertical bi-amping that you should investigate.

Secondly, add some of the Tannoy Super-tweeters. They add a sense of presence that the D-700's alone do not posess.

Better speaker wires. Try the "tmc" brand from Australia. Inexpensive (relatively) and very very good.

Good luck.