what’s a song cover that you think is better than the original?

The first ones to come to mind are Whitney’s version of I Will Always Love You and Allen Stone’s Georgia On My Mind but I would love to hear other contributions as well! I feel like there are a lot of songs where a covered version gets more popular than the original and people end up not realizing that it is a cover (ex. i had a friend that genuinely believed the Jonas Brothers wrote Year 3000). so, what‘a a song that was written by one artist but (figuratively) owned by another?

kazana

Love it when Audiogon members reveal that they also love music! Cover threads always turn me on to something new (in this case it was Eva Cassidy's version of Woodstock, which is unbelievably good). My contributions:

Slam dunk: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding) by Elvis Costello (orig. Brinsley Schwarz/Nick Lowe) mentioned already I think.

Controversial pick: Dead Souls by Nine Inch Nails (orig. Joy Division)

70s Cultural Appropriation Choice: Take Me in Your Arms by the Doobie Brothers (org. Kim Weston)

Jazz selection: 107 Steps by Jeff "Tain" Watts (orig. Bjork)

Not sure it counts: Tears of Rage by The Band (orig. basement tapes w/ Dylan)

Linda Ronstadt did a lot of nice covers.  I especially like her cover of the Eagles' Desperado.

@kangatrax + 1 - The Grateful Dead and JGB almost always had wonderful taste in songs to cover, and I generally really enjoyed those, too.