What's a good beginner turntable at $2500+- range?

I want to take the plunge and buy a good used turntable. I don't want anything that requires a lot of tweaking or constant supervision, but I do want the highest resolving and best sound table I can buy. My range is $2500 or so but could go a bit higher if necessary. I'll buy it used so that should give me a bit more buying power.
mmike84

Showing 4 responses by johnnyb53

Sufentanil,

Thanks for the info. I still recommend the Sumiko headshell--it's about 4-5 g heavier than the stock Technics headshell, but it's also more rigid and the headshell wires and clips are of much better quality ($20 by themselves as near as I can tell). The Sumiko also has adjustable azimuth, though that's probably less critical with a conical stylus.

I too have my damper fluid at 1/3. 60% full (with the Denon DL-160) was definitely overdamped, but at 1/3 I feel I got the best of everything.

05-07-08: Audiofeil
The Technics is a cute table and a high value product.

However, the arm is extraordinarily ordinary and overall the package does not compete with the SOTA, Basis, Acoustic Solid, Nottingham etc. tables priced at the $2500 level.

It is in the Music Hall, Project, Rega, league.
Where do Clearaudio and VPI sort out?

Oh, BTW, wouldn't a Michell Gyro SE fall right into the price/performance category the original poster is looking for? I'd look really hard at that, or a Funk with fully modded OL-1 or Silver tonearm.
05-07-08: Mmike84
Thanks guys. I think I'm trying to shoot a bit higher here than the modified Technics suggestion while I'm sure it's an excellent product. I just want a table that can keep up with the rest of my system.
Although I'm the owner and a big booster of the KAB-modified Technics DD route (and it makes perfect sense in my modest Amber/Mirage living room system), you have a system with Ayre electronics, Wadia digital source, and Avalon and upper level B&W speakers.

$2500 may even be shooting a bit low for the rest of your system. Maybe you should look at $1K to $1.5K if you just want to dip your toe in the water (VPI Scout, Rega P5), or you should step up a bit to something like A Clearaudio Performance or Solution, Michell Gyro SE or Orbe SE Mk II, or (at quite a bit more money), the VPI Super Scoutmaster Reference w/signature tonearm and beltless rim drive. I think this rig would give you that compelling drive and slam that you get with direct or rim drive, but with up-to-date plinth design, materials, design theory, and vibration control and isolation.

Otherwise, at the price point you mention, I have to admit that I was quite smitten by the very musical, compelling-yet-relaxed presentation of the Rega P7 with Rega Exact cartridge.
05-08-08: Sufentanil
I've had Music Halls and Pro-jects, and I've heard Regas. My KAB Technics beats all of them hands-down. Coupled with the Denon DL-103 cartridge, it crushes my previous turntable, a Project RM-6. I've heard a mid-level Nottingham and I would say that the Technics is at least competitive with it.
Which KAB mods does your Technics have? And what headshell are you using with the DL-103? Would you say the fluid damper is essential for getting the best out of the DL-103?