What quality are Empire 598 turntables?

I'm hoping that some of you audiophiles can offer some opinions on the relative quality of Empire 598 (version III I believe) turntables. After years of concentrating on the cd format, my interest in vinyl has been renewed. The Empire table I bought in the latter 70's is still in excellent shape. How does this compare to moderately priced offerings in contemporary tables? To put in context, it is being used with Maggie 1.6qr's, Belles 150A Hot Rod amp, Cambridge Audio C500 preamp (to be upgraded to something like a Rogue 66 or Blue Circle BC21.)
photon46

Showing 2 responses by rasta

I also owned one of these and they are good turntables. Try and get a few extra belts for the platter. Clean it every now and then with light dish soap. The V15 recommended is a goood fit. I used it and also an Audio Technica AT160ML. The specs for these were very good and it is very quiet. Besides they look like a million $$$
By the way, check this link out. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=empire&categoryid=&ht=1&st=0&category3=3283&maxRecordsPerPage=100&SortProperty=MetaEndSort