What PrimaLuna tube amp / integrated or not will work best with B&W 804 standard speakers

I have searched and I am looking for some real world experience with the combination. 

I currently am running the 804's with a Silk MC100SE, which is an upgraded Yaqin MC100-B. It comes with psvane kt88 tubes and has upgraded solen capacitors and some upgrade in the power supply circuit. I also added a svs sb1000 sub, connected to the speaker terminals like PrimaLuna recommended on their site. I keep the amp in triode mode and that's 30 watts per channel.  It sounds very good to me with good imaging and plays loud enough.  I am just hoping for even better sound if possible. 

I am just looking for PrimaLuna recommendations for those speakers. I say that because I can get some great deals on them and have a small budget of about 2k.

Thank you for any advice!

dwwjr56

Showing 2 responses by tls49

Can you be more specific about the model number of your speakers? Assuming they are not the Diamond or "D" series, then prior to those was 804S, then N804, and Matrix 804.

After spending over 25 years working in the audio industry and having experience with many models of B&W, including the 804S, I am in agreement with the comments about power in this review.

http://www.whathifi.com/bw/804s/review

As unsound said, "The B&W's aren't exactly tube friendly." The impedance of the 804S is rated at 8 ohms, however it dips to 3 ohms. A high current SS amp is a better match for this speaker. IMHO, looking at PrimaLuna just moves you sideways keeping the same amp/speaker mismatch. Also, it has been noted that PrimaLuna amps typically have a high output impedance, which is better suited for speakers with a reasonably flat impedance curve.