What pre amp to use in my system?

I have a B&W CDM 9NT and a Rotel 1080 power amp. I am looking for a preamp. I tried a Adcom GFP-710, it is quite good, alot of dynamics, tight bass, but I feel it is a bit too bright and got fatigue sometimes. I like to listen to female vocal, violin, cello, soft jazz. I am looking for a preamp that will produce smooth, warm sound with good dynamics and sound stage. I don't need alot of bass that I don't listen to rock. My budget is less $400. What would you recommend? I am open to both tube and SS. There is a local guy who build and sell tube preamp. If you were me, will you buy home built tube preamp?
gte357s
I got my RC-1070, it is not as musical and dynamic as my previous Adcom preamp. However, on the other hand, it is not as bright and not as harsh.
If you feel the Rotel is not the near term answer for you, I suggest on the budget end looking for a good used NAD preamp. It will be more musical. For a slight step up, and just above your curent budget (more like $600 to $700) - I suggest looking for an older Audio Research or Conrad Johnson. Performance of the last two will be leagues ahead of the Rotel or Adcom.
try a older conrad johnson pre amp. like a pv-10b on down to pv-1.older cj-preamps has the sound you are looking for.the price is about $650.00 on down. you can always resell and get your money back.
There is a Transcendent preamp up for sale for $450. Don't know the preamp, but their amps have an excellent reputation. Also don't know the output impedance of the pre and the input impeadance of the Rotel, but you would want at lest a 1:10 ratio and the higher the better.
Thanks for the replies. It seems I am going to try a tube pre, and will have to increase my budget to 700-800. In that range, I can find some Audio Research like the VT-60. How does the Audio Research sound compare to the Conrad Johnson? I read some good reviews on AR tube pres. I will do some research on the CJ as well.