What Possessed Me to Do This?

We are working on "de-cluttering" our home to list it for sale in April, need to have my "man cave" painted first.  To prepare for the painters' arrival, am boxing up my audio system, moving the components to a "climate controlled" storage unit.  I got the lighter stuff boxed up without assistance.  My son helped me place my 110# power amp on the carpeted floor, flip it over to bolt it to the plywood for the base of the inner carton, eventually getting it boxed and double-boxed, taped up and ready to go.  One of my son's friends is coming over for dinner, to help box up a pair of 122# speakers and a pair of 133# sub woofers.

What possessed me to get equipment that weighs so much?
ejr1953

Showing 9 responses by ejr1953

Tim,

My wife of 40 years is the same weight she was when I first met her...I've become "more robust" since.
ebm,

I couldn't agree more!  I've heard the Sopra's driven by some other amplifiers and to my ears, they didn't seem to pair as well as the McIntosh.  Once I got equipment with such great "synergy", I've stopped changing out this-that-and-the-other, am very satisfied with the system I have.

We are on track to have the house listed by early April!
I'm all "boxed up" with my son and his friend's help.  I'll be taking my boxed up system to a local "climate controlled" storage unit, so the room is empty enough for the painters to come in and do their magic.

I'm confident that we'll have the house ready and "staged" to list it in early April.  Our agent says he thinks it'll sell quickly, two houses on my street sold in a few days, both above the listing price.

We'll be having the movers take our stuff down to a "climate controlled" storage place down in Asheville, NC, as our new house probably won't be ready until the end of the year.  A long time to go without my beloved audio system!
aewarren & asvjerry,

We are having a house built in the Biltmore Lake community, one with a "bonus room" above the garage.

When we sell our house in Maryland, we'll move in with our daughter, who has lived in Asheville over 10 years now.  We've visited several times over those years, love that town.
bob540,
Good ideas.  In my case, after upgrading this, changing that, for a few years, I have components that have a great "synergy".  I love the way my system sounds on all the types of music I enjoy!
Yes, I am "60-something".
bob540,
...and yes, I have a car from a company headquartered in Munich, with a six cylinder engine, with twin turbos...though I mostly drive it in "eco mode".
paulburnett,

I'm fastidious about my equipment, save all the original cartons.  IMO, yes, it was 100% necessary to pack up my equipment.  We are selling our house, listing it in April and the real estate agent has told us what we need to do to "stage" the house (i.e. "de-clutter"), including removing the system and a lot of furniture, books, etc. which are all being moved to a "climate controlled" storage unit.
paulburnett,

The paints that are available now don't seem to give off fumes.  Having said that, if I were you, I'd just keep the door to the audio room closed for a bit, if you are concerned about voc, sounds reasonable to me.
noble100,

I know I'll get killed for saying this, but I am smitten with my Focal Sopra No2 speakers, have heard them driven by a few different amplifiers, but for my hearing, the McIntosh MC452 I own seems to drive them best.  That puppy is 110# out of the box.  I don't think I'll have the hots to replace it anytime soon, so once it's delivered to our new home, it should stay for quite a while!  The Sopra's are 122# out of the box and the JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (yes, plural) are 133# each, out of the box.