What now?

At the risk of repeating a question that has been asked and answered a few times, let me tell you my story.  I am an old-time audiophile (now 79) who has to adapt to new circumstances.  For the past forty years or more I have listened to music on two pairs of Snell type A speakers (A and AIII), one pair in my living room and another pair in the studio where I paint.  I have moved to a smaller house.  I had to sell the Snells because I don't have room for them (they went to a good home).  I also have sold some fairly high end equipment that powered them.  I now have two Marantz 60009 receivers and a nice vintage turntable.  The turntable is in a small (about 12x15) room, with a piano.  I need to find floor-standing speakers I can put on either side of the piano and close to the wall behind them.  I want to find them used, but not too used - I don't want to need to repair them anytime soon.  I am used to good sound and my hearing is still pretty good.  I listen to some classical, some choral, some solo voice, some guitar, etc.  I like what might be called a "warm" tone - without wanting to get into a debate about what that means - just don't want treble that is on the edgy side.  My budget is flexible, but not unlimited - maybe from $700 to $3000.  I do care how they look.  Some years ago I had a pair of Acoustic Zen adagios, which were OK, but I always preferred the Snells (maybe I was just used to them).  So - what do you recommend?  Adagio?  Vienna Acoustic Bach?  Tannoy?  Sonus Faber?  I am not in a place where I can easily audition speakers, and many of the ones I would consider are no longer sold new anyway, so I need to rely to some extent on the judgment of others.  What do you think?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtwilightround

I still have and Harbeth C7es. I still love my Snell Jii's, but the Harbeths are similarly warm and musical with more detail. 

First - thank you to all who have responded helpfully.  As to the physical layout, I have very few choices. I like the new house and community, but the house is considerably smaller than the one I left. The piano is a small Yamaha electronic one - full keyboard, but quite compact and sounds damn good.  The piano is on the 12' wall, and the only place in the room for the speakers is on or very near the same wall. . They might be placed as much as 10' apart.  The room is also a spare bedroom, so there is also a bed in the room, with its head on the opposite wall. The listener will be sitting (or lying) on the bed. I thought towers would be best because they could put the mid-range and tweeter high enough and the elevation of the bass wouldn't matter.  I suppose it does sound like an audiophile's nightmare, but it's what I've got and I can't change it.  The budget is flexible - I'm not constrained as to money, but can't see spending many thousands for this environment.  I will look into all the suggestions. Thanks again ...

No ports of any kind when near the walls and piano.

I have a piano on my side wall, but surprisingly do not hear any complimentary vibrations when I use my test cd, playing/stopping 1/3 octave test tones.

My friend has a 'seismo' app and walks around my room finding this and that. Top of my dining room table 'adds' something, but never noticeable or detrimental and I keep a heavy table cloth on top anyway.

My toe-in is flexible, find the best for single chair, and adjust toe-in when two listeners to maintain decent awareness of center and other side,

Tilt them back to avoid parallel reflections off the ceiling/floor, and 'mess up' the side/rear wall reflections (tweeters aimed at seated ear level).

Larsen and Ohm come to mind if you need to be close to a wall. Both available in your price range I think. 

Well, the piano being a "compact electronic" keyboard is now not anywhere near as worry as we may have thought. Capacitors and silicon don't vibrate and resonate like piano wires.