What makes you build a system around an amplifier?

Serious question. I almost always care about the room and speakers first, then build around that. However, this is not the only way to do things.

If you have ever insisted on keeping your amplifier, but were willing to change everything else around it, please let us know why. What made an amp so outstanding in your mind that it was worth making it your center piece. Imaging? slam?

Be specific about the amp and speakers or other gear that you shuffled through.

Thanks!

E
erik_squires
Post removed 
I get the idea of building around an amp, but that is only something I came to after going through several. Solid state years ago, through a variety of tube gear (modded heathkits, modded Dynacos, Fischer, McIntosh) to Naim and finally to Devialet. In part because I love the way the Devialet sounds, and also because I realize, or I found, that you can change speakers all you want, but the quality of the power and control often gives the results one is looking for in changing other components. I also, now, feel that way about digital sources and cables. 

Me too Erik. If I still lived in the Bay Area (Cupertino for twenty years), I would go to Modjeski's new operation in Berkeley/Oakland (after being in Santa Barbara for decades), where Roger demoes the speakers.

maplegrovemusic---Modjeski is one of those guys who doesn't put a lot of effort into his company's website, and the speakers aren't mentioned or listed there. If you do a Google search for Music Reference, however, the first listing will be for Music Reference / Ram Labs. Click on the sub-listing of "Complete Price List", and you will see the speakers at the bottom of the list. $12,000/pr, including the integral 8" dynamic subs. I don't know whether or not that includes the direct-drive amps, but I suspect not.

While the regular Music Reference site lists only the RM-10 and RM-200 amps, the complete list has all kinds of other amps---2.5w, 5w, and 10w triodes, a couple of OTL's, 45 based amps, and some passive pre's. Roger is a very interesting, creative designer with a vast knowledge of tubes. Very over-looked by the rather cliquish high end, for some reason. Maybe for the same reason the Eminent Technology LFT-8b speaker is---not expensive enough!

Speaking of the ET's, VPI's Harry Weisfeld is of the opinion that the LFT-8b has the best midrange of any speaker he has ever heard. I don't know about that---the original Quad is hard to beat. But it plays louder, goes lower, and is easier to drive than the Quad. It's a nominal 8 ohm load, but if you bi-amp them the magnetic-planar panel (similar to that of the Maggies, but push-pull, not single-ended, a huge advantage) is an 11 ohm load, and mostly resistive. A great speaker for the Atma-Sphere M60!