What makes the Bloom around instruments . . .

I recently tried a Pass XA30.5 amp in place of my Spectron Musician III Mk 2.

In my particular system, the Spectron outclassed the Pass in every category except one: that magical Bloom surrounding each instrument and vocal entity.

I really liked that Bloom and I would like to understand how and why it's there because it is something very special and I'd really like to have it again in addition to everything the Spectron brings.

Thanks,
Chuck
krell_man

Showing 2 responses by noble100

I always thought that "bloom" was associated with tubed amps and not digital (Spectron) or ss (Pass) amps. Its my undertanding that when tube amps distort they produce even order harmonic distortion which is percieved by most people as pleasant and musical- bloom?. When ss and I believe digital amps distort, however, they produce odd order harmonics that most people percieve as unpleasant and unmusical-grain?. I think Nelson Pass would try to reduce odd order harmonic distortion in his amp designs. But I doubt if he would, or could, introduce even order distortion to them. But I wouldn't put it Passt him(sorry but pun, unfortunately, is intended).
My definition of 'bloom' is very close to Holt's/stereophile's listed in Bryon's post. I would describe it as a warm,euphonic sound quality that doesn't sacrifice or mask details. I like the earlier poster's analogy of a topograhic map of the music -very descriptive. If Chuck is looking for a warmer. more euphonic quality, then I would suggest trying a tube preamp (I don't see one on his system page so I'm assuning he's using the Wadia).
I may be totally wrong, but I thought you needed tubes somewhere in the signal path
(tubes in a cdp,preamp, amp,dac or even a line buffer) to introduce any 'bloom'. I was seeking this special quality in my system a few years ago and added a tubed preamp to replace a ss. It worked immediately. I replaced the stock tubes with NOS Mullards a year later which added a touch more magical 'bloom'. I'd even like a bit more if it comes in a powerful enough ss or digital amp to drive my inefficient speakers. So, based on your comments above, I might try out some other ss and digital amps.
I'm always learning new things from the guys and gals on Agon and just wanted to say I appreciate your knowledge and time. But I didn't want to hijack this thread. Chuck, did any of this and the above help you?