What makes speaker's sound big?

Does a speaker need to have many drivers or a large driver area to sound big and fill the room?
I am asking this question because I have a pair of tekton design double impact and would like to replace them with smaller speakers and a pair of subwoofer's to better integrate the bass into my room.
I just borrowed a set of B&W 702S. The are good but the just don't make that floor to ceiling sound that I like.
Maybe I have already answered my own question (: But again I have not heard all the speakers out there.
My room measure 15x19' and the ceiling goes from 7.5 to 12.8'

martin-andersen
And "full" is still a factor of SPL at your listening location, over an extended frequency range, no matter how you achieve it, and what gets to you is a combination of direct and reflected. Larger room, and the reflected is reduced. Damped room and the reflected is reduced. Line source and there is less direct loss with distance, but less reflected energy to contribute to the arriving SPL. Larger drivers provide the ability to achieve higher SPL with less cone movement at low frequencies. Multiple small drivers can achieve the same thing. You still need to move the same amount of air, area*excursion, to achieve a similar pressure wave.
It is precisely why an array of 18 Helmholtz tubes and pipes can do marvel in modifying the sound pressures zones where they are located making possible a better synchronization of the speakers and the specificity of the room...

The measured sound pressure coming from a pair of speakers in a particular room could change much in frequencies range if we implement the H. grid with the appropriate ratio volume/ neck...

I did it with great result for my speakers point source : a soundstage filling the room and not coming from the speakers but completely encompassing them...A better timbre perception also... . In 2 listening position, different but astounding results...

The room is not only a passive set of walls where waves are boucing or absorbed or diffused only, it can be ACTIVATED with heteregenuous zones pressure distribution , modulo the varied locations of the Helmholtz pipes and tubes...

This is concrete science easy to verify....

Then your analysis is correct in a STATIC room with a definite homogenuous pressure atmosphere but you forget to say that we can compensate, increase or decrease the sound pressure levels at will with more active acoustical tools... Helmholtz bottles engines grid are only one type of these tools.... I use others also....

Acoustic is way more than what it is speak about in most audio thread by most people....

Most people have no idea because many acoustic tools are not suitable at all for a living room....

And most acoustic companies sells what is EASY and esthetical to sell, not what could be an optimal or more powerful tool but less easy tool to install with a complex set of experiments to deliver the results... Bass traps and passive surface materials are supposed to be all there is to do for most.... This is not true....

The room is not a set of walls, it is a pressure ENGINE....Helmholtz dixit.....

And "full" is still a factor of SPL at your listening location,

To conclude with your opening remark, we cannot complety change each characteristic of the different type of speakers, your post is clear and very right about that, but we can adapt them optimally to the room and adapt the room optimally to them.... That was my point....

My best to you......
I don't think anything you had posted previously had influence my response Mahgister. I think for the most part we agree.
I think I will try a pair Magneplanar 1.7i and a pair of gr research servo dipole subs

just to try something new 
OP - I am biased, but I think you will love the Maggie 1.7i speakers. I have them in my main system and I use the Maggie Base Panel with them to extend the bottom end. They create a soundstage in my room (18 ft by 23 ft with 9 ft ceiling) that is amazing. I push the 1.7i with the new Krell integrated amp (K300i) with no issues at all. I did biamp the base panel with the Son of Ampzilla amp- the more current the better for Magnapans. If you live near Greenville, SC you are more than welcome to come by for a listen!

tom8999
@ mahgister  Well, my answer was a bit short and not really explained.  Obviously, EVERYONE knows that YOUR ROOM is the most important element of ANY sound system.

Having agreed to that (I hope), we can then discuss a version of physics and psycho-acoustics.  All I can tell you from my personal experience in owning a shop for many years and having the opportunity to LISTEN to pretty much every type and combination of speakers from most boxes to hybrids like the Mark Levinson HQD system (full disclosure: we made stands for that system for Levinson), Bob Fulton's "J" system, and so forth, and trying to understand why "good stuff" sounded less than good in many of my customer's rooms, I finally realized what Mr. Winey and others had been trying to explain to me.

1.  The ROOM is more important than the "stuff" you use.  This was made clear when various "high-end" manufacturers entertained me in their showrooms and showed me how good and bad the same stuff could sound when the room was changed around or things moved.
2.  ALL BOXES DISTORT.
3.  Horns belong on the top of poles at high school football stadiums.
4.  Pure electrostatics will burn your ears out (listening fatigue) fairly quickly at any volume.

Once I HEARD all this, I realized, and then again yesterday when I turned on my system and listened for a while, that Maggies are in their own world regarding sound reproduction.  Perfect?  Don't be ridiculous.  Hard to position correctly for the best possible sound?  You know it.  Require lots of high-quality equipment?  Absolutely, as they reveal whatever you put into them.

So yes, a small room is harder to "Maggi-fi" than a big one, but it can be done by selecting the right gear and having a professional, like your dealer, I hope, set everything up for you.  May not be easy, and yes, some rooms simply do not work with them, but for the most part, you get the most accurate music reproduction from Maggies.

Don't believe me...hey, I realizes that flat-Earthers think the Mars landing is a fake...go listen yourself in the shop and THEN in your ROOM.  You might like what you hear!

Cheers!