What makes speaker's sound big?

Does a speaker need to have many drivers or a large driver area to sound big and fill the room?
I am asking this question because I have a pair of tekton design double impact and would like to replace them with smaller speakers and a pair of subwoofer's to better integrate the bass into my room.
I just borrowed a set of B&W 702S. The are good but the just don't make that floor to ceiling sound that I like.
Maybe I have already answered my own question (: But again I have not heard all the speakers out there.
My room measure 15x19' and the ceiling goes from 7.5 to 12.8'

martin-andersen
Clean SPL (in your room),  Clean Bass Extension,  Your eyes.

Everything else is just meaningless fluff.

You can either achieve a desired SPL, at your listening location, over a desired frequency range, in an undistorted fashion or you cannot.

That SPL is a factor of "total" speaker efficiency, amplifier power, speaker power handling, and room acoustics. I used the word "total" as outside bass frequencies, speakers are directional, and while say a bipolar may have lower on axis response, its total energy at a given frequency may be high, and what gets to your listening position is a combination of direct and reflected.  Have a large room, reflections have a longer path, and energy is less. You are also likely seated farther, so again, less power reaches you.

Note I don't mention speaker size? That is an implementation variable contributing to efficiency, no more, no less, though one can argue if wider range, it does effect doppler distortion but that is getting advanced.

Odds are the Double Impact has a bit more base extension and depending and while their 98db efficiency is likely over stated, they would be more efficient than the B&W, so you are going to need to turn them up.  The bass extension, depending on the music could have a big impact on your impression. That could also be a factor of location as well. Did you use exactly the same placement for each?  Other reviews of the tweeter array show the Tekton having good dispersion so their could be more mid-band energy as well, again filling out the sound.  The tuning of the B&W also looks like it is getting less reinforcement from the port, so if the speakers are close to the front wall, the Tekton may give more bass reinforcement w.r.t. the B&W.

Nope! When I had my wharfedale diamond 225’s set up, prior to getting my tannoys, they more than filled the room with sound, imaged like crazy, with plenty of bass. The speakers often performed a disappearing act and sounds seemed to come from well beyond the speakers, as if emanating from beyond the sidewall! I Drove them with my marantz pm14s1 @ 90 watts. They are astonishingly good speakers for the money!! Bought them after reading Herb Reichert and Art Dudley’s review in stereophile. They were right! If i had to, for some reason, put them back into the system, I would not be sad. Now I drive tannoy eatons with my sugden a21se, and to be honest, they do not play louder, but sound a bit more fuller, more oomph or authority. Do they sound better? That is subjective, as It is more likely that they sound different. Mind you the sugden is only 30 watt class A and the tannoys are only 89 db. However, if I was to put the pm14s1 back in to drive the tannoys, they may play a bit louder. I honestly could care less, as I seldom play music at ear shattering levels. Quality, not quantity, at least in my small world.
i find that scale to music comes from the speakers being properly matched to the room so the music can breathe. the music needs to be able to properly open up and become coherent. then the speakers and amps also need to be properly matched. and to add authority and ease to the scale your amps need to have headroom, and your power grid needs plenty of headroom too.

some good mid bass is also helpful; again the speaker driver surface in the mid bass needs to be matched to the volume of the room so it can propagate. the whole room needs to be energized.

sitting in the near field can also bring a larger scale presentation; more enveloping. but to do that typically requires a highly tuned room or the proximity to the drivers will be too harsh.

my sweet spot is in the nearfield in a very large room. and i am immersed in the music.

i did not read every post, so apologies if someone already posted this.

my experience is with owning multiple speakers systems in multiple rooms, and then visiting numerous audio shows. going to audio shows where you visit 20-40 rooms a day; if you listen for this aspect of the music it is easy to connect the dots.

i moved from my previous home, and built my room in my barn, to mostly accomplish this issue. not have the room limit the power or scale of the music. and it does not.
Thanks everybody. My conclusion is also that driver area is very important and a nice big room.
I have been thinking of smaller speakers and a pair of subs. So I will have the freedom to experiment with different placement of speakers and subs.
Have also been thinking about dipoles. Have heard that the bass should be easier to integrated in the room. Less boomy bass

To me, there’s really no substitute for size in producing a grand scale and room-filling sound, the best of which by far IME are tall, line-array designs (Pipedreams, Nola, etc) and larger planar or electrostats.  Sure smaller speakers with better dispersion characteristics and some other things can help, but they can’t match the true scale and impact of the larger designs IMHO.  Given what you’re looking for, if I’m you I’d look at dipole, bipolar, or omni-polar speakers.  The only ones off the top of my head in your price range would be the Ohm MicroWalsh Short or the Magnepan LRS or 0.7, but there are probably some others I’m missing.  If you have more of a budget there are smaller models from Boenicke and Nola that are excellent.  Anyway, hope this helps, and best of luck in your quest.