What makes a 20A IEC rated for 20 amps?

What makes a 20A IEC rated for 20 amps?
I now the blades go in a different direction but are the blades thicker to carry more current?
I ask this because I have a component that I am demoing that has a 20A IEC on the back. I have some pretty pricey power cords available with 15A Furutech NCF fittings. A 20A Furutech replacement 20A IEC connector sell for almost $300! Or I could always use a 20-15A IEC adapter. But that would add a (cheapo) connection.

So how about if I just change the IEC in the unit to a 15A Furutech NCF about $80. Hence the question.

ozzy
128x128ozzy
BTW, it took me several tries to post this question. The Audiogon site kept deleting all or parts of the question. So, sorry about any misspelled words.

ozzy
I had a similar problem when using a right angle IEC connector on my DAC.
I called AQ and asked if they thought it would compromise sound. They said it shouldn't as the connector was just solid metal, and not a cable.
That being said, I would think the same to be applicable to your situation.
Just get a 20 amp to 15 amp adapter.
(Though it would be interesting to see if the $300 connector would make any difference😘).
Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I am using the adapter to demo, but I was thinking of either changing the power cord IEC end or the IEC in the unit.

Is there an actual difference in power transfer with a 20A IEC connector? They look to be about the same thickness but it is hard to tell.

ozzy

As far as I know, it's just the gauge of the cable itself; I have 15A and 20A IEC power cords and they look identical other than the thickness of the insulation which I assume indicated heavier gauge wire in the higher rated one.