What made you change to a 6SN7 preamp?

If you made an intentional shift toward a 6SN7-based tube preamp, what sonic characteristics motivated your move?

I have been doing some comparisons and think I have some reasons I like the 6SN7 better, but there are so many factors which could be at play, that I'm not sure what is responsible. 

Rather than list my details for others to analyze, I'd rather hear your answer to the basic question.

Tell me about your path toward a 6SN7 preamp?

What did you change from and why?

Even if, overall, the change was worth it, did you lose anything in the transition? What?

128x128hilde45

I think you were reinforcing the point I was trying to make that it's not all about the tube? 

That is true. But if you work with tubes over time, you get a feel for what they do. More to the point though that in order to really compare what the tubes do, you have to make sure all the other variables (circuit topology, part quality, grounding technique, power supply design and so on) are put to bed.

We see this going on in the SET world all the time- SET fans say they've compared SET to Push-pull, but when you dig into it you find out that the variables I mentioned above were uncontrolled in the comparison. This makes comparisons invalid; all you can conclude at that point is you might prefer one over the other without knowing why that is if you're being truthful with yourself.

Unrelated to the thread topic but important to those looking to optimize their purchases regarding NOS tubes, Andy @ Vintage Tube Services is the guy. Give him a call, you'll be rest assured he knows his tubes and upon ordering you'll also find yourself grinning from ear to ear. He's a passionate and perfectionist audiophile.

@atmasphere 

when you dig into it you find out that the variables I mentioned above were uncontrolled in the comparison. 

Your understanding of these variables, and your cautious way of taking variables into account when you make comments, make you an invaluable voice in this forum. Thank you.

Lack of control over variables is what leads discussions into sometime wild and fun or confusing and conflictual directions. Of course, the room is almost never mentioned as a variable in almost any discussion, but that of course is a hard one!

The only tube pre I have owned is 6SN7 tubes. I am happy enough to not look further. I have rolled tubes and right now nos  Sylvania bad boys sound great. My holly grain is an old pair of telafunkins but not willing to pay $500 per tube right now. Hear a lot about mullards and will be trying them next. What I have noticed is after about two hours of warm up the sound stage opens up and it is total bliss!